Cleared For Landing

K9Kirk

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Any and all critique is appreciated. I don't know B&W very well. Thanks!
405 (4)pp.jpg

Last edited:
Really serene, K9. I'm loving this.

Really serene, K9. I'm loving this.

Thanks, I felt the same way about it but I feel a little lost doing B&W's as I'm not too familiar with what technically makes them good or bad.

I was actually going to critique the processing a little, but the more I looked at it the more I like it.

General thoughts about B&W: Starts with good metering and exposure-check. Subject and composition-check.
It's nice to have some pure white and pure black in the image-check.
Are the blacks so black that they look like ink blots? or are the whites too blown and overpowering? Not here IMO
Then it's just personal preference on whether the gray tones are "pleasing" or "muddy", scene-appropriate contrast, etc.

I have a personal opinion on vignette. I like to be more subtle, so the viewer doesn't notice the vignette so much. There's a range of light vignetting where the the edges get just a bit darker and provide subject isolation, but you don't get that "old timey photo" strong vignette. So, for me, the vignette is just a touch strong.

Your photos are really beautiful lately, K9. I'm beginning to doubt you're actually a dog.

I truly appreciate your feedback but as it turns out, I'm already aware of all the things you mentioned because I apply them to my color pics. I thought for sure there was going to be something I hadn't thought of but it's the same principals as color photography but maybe with a little more emphasis on shading/light and then there is the personal preference that's always involved. Woof, woof! (thanks again!)

Hey, that's quite nice. Looking forward to seeing more.

K9
I have found that once you understand the basic of a good photo. Then it is mostly personal opinion on presentation. That presentation is often influenced by the work of others that we enjoy.

I like the shot.

K9
I have found that once you understand the basic of a good photo. Then it is mostly personal opinion on presentation. That presentation is often influenced by the work of others that we enjoy.

I like the shot.

Thanks, Ron, I appreciate the honest feedback.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back