Client having issues with my photos and their zoom feature on site

peacexisxfree

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently started a contract gig with a company shooting their product.

To save money they passed my RAW files (.NEF) off to people in the office to edit.

A day later they come to me and tell me the photo's colors look correct online until the zoom feature is used. Once the zoom feature is used the photos become slightly more saturated in color. Because of the type of product, this is unacceptable to them.

They can't answer my question about color space used or anything else so I told them I would just come down to check it out. They've already put up another ad for a photographer because they think my photos are "bad" (although they were praising me for how fast I am and how good the colors were out of the camera days before).

What are some things that could cause this and/or what are some things I can try tomorrow to correct this issue?

First thing's first, I want to make sure photos are converted to sRGB. If problem persists, I will convert color space to monitor and will not embed profile or convert to sRGB when saving for web.

I need to keep this contract.

Thanks in advance.

Like a zoom applet on a product website? Lots of those fake the zoom in feature by using a downgraded large image. If this is the case it could account for the color changing. I would suggest them using a better full size image.

If that's not what it's for then I am stumped because I've never heard of color changing when zooming in in photoshop.

...What are some things that could cause this ...
Relinquishing creative control and unedited images to people who don't know what they're doing.

...what are some things I can try tomorrow to correct this issue?...
Don't release anything but the final, completed product to the client.

It does sound like it could be a colourspace issue, but regardless, this sounds like someone to walk away from.

Relinquishing creative control and unedited images to people who don't know what they're doing.

It does sound like it could be a colourspace issue, but regardless, this sounds like someone to walk away from.

Agreed!

I'm an amateur and understand handing over RAW files is asking for trouble.

Like a zoom applet on a product website?

If that's not what it's for then I am stumped because I've never heard of color changing when zooming in in photoshop.

Yes, one of those on a site. Not in Ps.

There is nothing that you said that I don't agree with or already know; however, I need to keep this contract.

Like a zoom applet on a product website?

There is nothing that you said that I don't agree with or already know; however, I need to keep this contract.

Did you keep a copy of the RAW files? If so, I would process a set my self and hand those over for comparing.

...Did you keep a copy of the RAW files? If so, I would process a set my self and hand those over for comparing.
^^This.

Seriously; not trying to lecture, but if this is the first installment, how much trouble is this client going to be? One minor issue (likely easily correctible in post) and they're advertising for another photographer? How badly do you need this contract?

That is the problem right there. Your photos are fine, it's what ever program they are using.

Do you know what it's based on I.e. flash, jquery etc...?

Sounds like there is a wonky conversion going on somewhere in the background. Can you link me to the website?

P.s. I've learned over the years it's best to go to clients with a solution to a problem rather than just a problem.

That is the problem right there. Your photos are fine, it's what ever program they are using.

Do you know what it's based on I.e. flash, jquery etc...?

Sounds like there is a wonky conversion going on somewhere in the background. Can you link me to the website?

P.s. I've learned over the years it's best to go to clients with a solution to a problem rather than just a problem.

I know the photos are fine. I am just looking for some people who have had experience correcting this problem.

I think it's JQuery based.

I pm'ed you the site, but not sure it went through. Gonna try again.

Thanks, runnah.

Well, it's obvious it's on their side. If the original is fine, there's no reason they can't get their app to display it fine.

Fix a set yourself then offer a tutorial package on quick editing to the staff at a reasonable rate. You can make money on both ends that way.

You completely shot yourself in the foot the moment you delivered anything other than finished images. If the client isn't willing to pay what you charge to deliver completed images, you should reconsider working with that client.

You may "need that contract" but if these people are this cheap and ignorant, you are probably better off barking up another tree.

Chalk it up as a lesson learned and NEVER deliver anything other than a completed image. If a client isn't OK with that...walk.

Are the "people in the office" qualified to be editing Raw files?
Commercial clients often want, and need, editorial control over images delivered to them. However, I recommend delivering TIFFs that have had basic finishing edits done to them by you, rather than Raw image files.
I get the impression this is a small company that does not use an ad agency or have an advertising department.

That this client does not understand that the problem is at their end, indicates you will likely never satisfy them.

That this client does not understand that the problem is at their end, indicates you will likely never satisfy them.

Good chance that they will also realize it and still blame you as to not look foolish.

Did some digging and found out that it's a flash based web app that they are using. This always causes issues when using raster images in flash apps. Flash standard is sRGB but pushing profiles to end users is always a *****. Also I bet the client is using a browser that is causing issues as well.

Good chance that they will also realize it and still blame you as to not look foolish.

Did some digging and found out that it's a flash based web app that they are using. This always causes issues when using raster images in flash apps. Flash standard is sRGB but pushing profiles to end users is always a *****. Also I bet the client is using a browser that is causing issues as well.

Translation, the client is ignorant and doesn't understand what they're doing. Of course this will be the photographer's fault. And if they hire someone else, it will be their fault as well.

I don't know if it's even possible to help the people we do business with understand that it's actually worth their investment to hire a professional to do things like this for them. The sheer arrogance of so many of these people to think that they can do it all themselves, web design, graphic design, photography, etc. is really aggravating. You'd think the absolutely vomit-inducing manure they produce would be a decent clue that they are better off outsourcing to a pro. :er:

Most reactions

Back