What's new

Clone out Shadows? or Not?

CourtneyAK

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 20, 2013
Messages
68
Reaction score
21
Location
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just got my first editing program...and I was wondering.. Do you typically clone out Shadows or not? This photo isn't anything special, was just using it for practice.

$DSC_1065 (2).webp
$Horses3.webp
oops and now i just noticed...they aren't the same photo. (but you get my drift)
 
Just make friends with your shadows:) Shadows can be an important part of your photo
 
What program did you get? I agree that shadows can be important to a photograph.
 
Using Photoscape for now, for some reason Photoshop and my computer aren't liking each other..
 
You could try gimp from google, they make a good software and there a lot of tutorials for it on the web.
 
When putting composite pieces together, people actually add shadows in to make it more realistic. Without them in the first shot, the horses look like they are floating and photoshopped in. Unnatural to me.
 
My apologies I was thinking about picasa, but regardless gimp is great.
 
I use Gimp & like it :) I also have FastStone (because it can read my raw files - I use it for editing as well, but got it so I could convert the files to something Gimp would accept). Both were free to download.
I'd leave the shadows - they're supposed to be there so it looks wrong without them.
 
Shadows help provide depth to photos. They are also hints of the time of day a photo was created. Unless you have a compelling reason to clone them out, being it artistic or simply because they ruin the photo, there's really no point in cloning them out.

That being said, you did a pretty good cloning job. But, like deeky said, the result looks unnatural.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom