Close up lens/filter

nokili

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was looking into Macro photography...talked to a friends of mine and he suggested (before buying a macro lens) to get a few diff close up filters first, just to mess around with them, he just says atttach it to my 18-105 lense and mess around with it. I just wanted to see if any one has used them at all I was looking around they aren't too much (like starting at 20 dollars) so that isn't a big deal, i just thought instead of wasting time trying to make it work i would just ask you all.

Wanting to see about close up insect/flower etc..

Yes, they are certainly an option to get you into Macro photography for a lower cost than a true macro lens. On the downside, the quality won't be as good as a nice macro lens.

I've got a kit from Hoya that includes +1, +2 and +4 filters. They can be stacked to get even more magnification, but you also compound the image quality issues.
HOYA FILTERS - The Difference is Clear

Another option would be an extension tube paired with a decent lens. A popular combo is a 50mm F1.8 lens with an extension tube.

There's a key bit of information is this video that you question in your post. Keep your ears open.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I can't watch the vid now but I will when I get home, does anyone have any sample photos that they can post that they took with a close up lens filter?

Taken with close up filters on a 35-105mm lens & 35mm film.

F1000006.jpg

This one was cropped, I don't remember how much though.
F1000008-a.jpg

Sorry for hijacking the thread.
My question Bryan (from the video posted) said I need not spend the money on the macro lens nor the filter but by the closeup lens to achieve the close up effect, what is the catch? Why people still buy macro lens then if the image is comparable?
I would like to do some closeup but I have no budget for macro right now, ($150, I could) but again I don't want to spend $150 for something I will outgrown pretty soon. I also like to take insects, flower etc pictures.
I am sure the photographer use macro lens for this, (Juza Nature Photography), I was wondering if a closeup lens can remotely take as comparable as these or not even close.
Again, sorry for robbing the thread.

Taken with close up filters on a 35-105mm lens & 35mm film.

F1000006.jpg

This one was cropped, I don't remember how much though.
F1000008-a.jpg

Wow I didn't think that they would come out that good! I think Ill try it out

No worries about the thread robbery you have good points :)

When I went to Alaska last June, I didn't want to check any bags so limited what I took with me and I didn't want to lug my 100mm f/2.8 macro , so I brought my set of Hoya close-ups for 'just-in-case'. Here is a blueberry blossom (I think) taken with a combination of the filters (I think I used all 3 together, but not certain) and my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8

blueberry.jpg

Most reactions

Back