Close ups AND group shots

bananas13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi I'm new to the forum and I have a couple of questions.

My name's Kaylee and I'm a Photography BFA student who also owns my own small portrait business to make extra cash while I'm in school. I plan on opening a full-on studio after I graduate.

Anyway, I've gotten several requests to shoot weddings and I want to have the best possible lens for the most versatility.

I have a Canon Digital Rebel XS with the standard 18-55mm and I bought a 50mm f/1.4 (which I use for basically everything).

The issue is, if I'm going to be shooting weddings, I'm going to need more than just a portrait lens. I'm going to want to do close ups of the rings, flowers, little details, etc. BUT I also want to do group shots and such (wide angle, perhaps?). Basically, I'm lost.

I have a budget of around $500 to get a lens that can do both of these things. Can anyone help me out?

Well I mean if you plan on doing weddings and want to do serious professional things for people you are going to need good gear and will most likely need a bigger budget. a 24-70 or 16-35 or 17-40 those are nice lenses that are wide zooms. A 70-200 would also be a nice addition. Another body is good for weddings since you can't be wasting time switching lenses. You might want to take a look at renting lenses/bodies. GL
TJ

Hey welcome to the forum let me ask you something.
If your really want to get involve on the wedding business ask yourself first. Are you ready? and please be honest with your answer.

Ive been seen the same question from different persons back and forward.

Sorry for my honest response but if you are here asking for what kind of lens you need for a weeding I think that you are not ready for take a wedding responsibility. Photography is my second Job do the fact that living only from photography is kind of hard but I still a professional photographer and I will never go to the wedding
if i do not have

1. Two Boddies in my case D3s and D300s
2. Two off shoe flashes SB900 and SB800 for backup
3. set of two lenses with different ranges per camera body
4. 16 gigs of CF per camera

and so and so

I tell you all this because is very easy said I want to do weddings but are you really want?
Are you really want to take the responsability of take the pictures of the most important day for a couple with just only one camera? What happen if your camera get broke during wedding and you do not have a backup. if that happen call your lawyer because you are going to need it Trust me

Just think about it.

If you are going to do it anyway get another camera like the new 7d from canon and you are going to be more prepared for the responsibility

If you're wanting to shoot weddings there's a lot more to it than having the right gear and the ability to take good photographs. Several of our members here are incredibly accomplished event/wedding photographers. Bennielou recently posted this about the non-photography side of things:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...89976-when-man-loves-woman-3.html#post1803443

You might also want to take a look at the pics at the beginning of that thread.

I would agree with the essence of what Willli and Pugs are saying. You need more and better equipment as well as the general skills and broad level of experience before considering wedding photography.

skieur

Welcome to the forum Kaylee.

I completely agree with what the others are saying.
If you take a wedding gig, you need to be prepared to get the job done. Backup equipment is a must and if you can't buy anything new just yet....then beg, borrow, steal etc.

I have a Canon Digital Rebel XS with the standard 18-55mm and I bought a 50mm f/1.4 (which I use for basically everything).

The issue is, if I'm going to be shooting weddings, I'm going to need more than just a portrait lens. I'm going to want to do close ups of the rings, flowers, little details, etc. BUT I also want to do group shots and such (wide angle, perhaps?). Basically, I'm lost.

I have a budget of around $500 to get a lens that can do both of these things. Can anyone help me out?
The focal length range of 18-55mm will be pretty good for most situations. The only problem is that the EF-S 18-55mm lens isn't ideal. Firstly, it's a 'slow' lens, which might cause problem when trying to shoot in low light situations like the inside of a church.
Also, it's on the lower end of the quality scale, which isn't really a good choice when you are being paid to produce professional quality photos.

As an upgrade to that lens, I'd suggest the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 or the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8. I've got the Tamron and it's a great lens that will fit your budget. A better choice would be the Canon EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS but it's much more expensive.

As for a Macro lens, I think the Sigma 18-50mm says 'macro' but it's not a true 1:1 macro lens. Your 18-55 or your 50mm might be able to get close enough to give you decent detail shots, just be sure to use a tripod or something so that you have maximum sharpness for cropping.
Another option would be to get extension tubes or diopter filters. Either of which will allow you to get closer.
For my wedding detail shots, I've got a set of Hoya Diopter filters that I used one of my older lenses. I would really prefer a true macro lens though.

Thanks for the advice guys... when I said I was shooting weddings, I don't mean like professionally -- it's people who have low-key weddings who want a cheap student photographer who know me as a friend-of-a-friend kind of thing. These people are fully aware of the fact that I don't have excellent equipment or anything.

I have actually decided to upgrade to a 50D before I get anymore lenses.

Thank you, Big Mike. I really appreciate your suggestions.

Being the "photographer" in the family, good or bad, I was often asked to shoot weddings. My standard and never-changing answer was NO.

A wedding is that one-time event I don't want to blow, or even get less than perfect. Soooooo many things can and will go wrong with a wedding, the gear, the guests, the venue, etc.

The only wedding I ever personally witnessed being shot properly was about seven years ago. Let me give you an idea what I saw.

1. Five still shooters. Two video photogs.
  2. Four of the still people had a mix of Nikon and Canon rigs, all digital.
  3. One still guy had a Hasselblad, which I can only guess was a CYA option. The film dude shot a ton of film.
  4. Everything was backed-up, probably over backed-up. If any piece of gear failed, they had it covered completely.
  5. The video guys were on dollies, each one being gently pushed around by one of the crew to pan, truck, tilt, etc.
Now, get this, despite all of the overkill, the wedding album still wasn't spectacular. I have two matted and framed prints from the reception, each one could be far sharper and better color-balanced than they are.

Forgive my going on here, but wedding photography takes nerves of steel. You get one chance only. Blow that and you are cooked, as well you should be.

Simply put, no thanks. Cheers and much good luck!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back