bigtwinky

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.pierrebphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Old Port of Montreal.

Something missing in this image, would love your input as to what it is or any CC comments you have

4096492833_2d74d05f48_o.jpg

I think what is "missing" is a level horizon. This photo is made up of mostly rectilinear lines, in a rather formal,predictable pattern. The fence and seawall are rectilinear. Everything is pretty much a straight line, or nearly so. Very formal, repeating, rectinlinear shapes for the most part...and then here comes Big Twinky with the horizon all tilted...;)

To me, the horizon's tilt just kills the photo of a desolate, closed marina and a bunch of empty boat slips. I dunno...the small amount of sky in the URC has a lot of weight, and the ULC has no weight, and the dissonance introduced by the background just *kills* the formal nature and the repeating forms in the foreground and middle ground....one of the single biggest design elements in this photo is the design element of repetition. But the loss of the repetition in the near background just kills that...it introduces an excessive amount of another design element, dissonance, and that dissonance overrides the repetition quite easily.

It's like a loud cougher at a string quartet performance...it takes only a little coughing to mess up the sweetness.

Last edited:
I think what is "missing" is a level horizon. This photo is made up of mostly rectilinear lines, in a rather formal,predictable pattern. The fence and seawall are rectilinear. Everything is pretty much a straight line, or nearly so. Very formal, repeating, rectinlinear shapes for the most part...and then here comes Big Twinky with the horizon all tilted...;)

To me, the horizon's tilt just kills the photo of a desolate, closed marina and a bunch of empty boat slips. I dunno...the small amount of sky in the URC has a lot of weight, and the ULC has no weight, and the dissonance introduced by the background just *kills* the formal nature and the repeating forms in the foreground and middle ground....one of the single biggest design elements in this photo is the design element of repetition. But the loss of the repetition in the near background just kills that...it introduces an excessive amount of another design element, dissonance, and that dissonance overrides the repetition quite easily.

It's like a loud cougher at a string quartet performance...it takes only a little coughing to mess up the sweetness.

Couldn't agree more. There are very few and I mean very few images that are enhanced by the tilt. It is been way over done. Take a beautiful image and you don't need to do anything like tilt it to get a response from people.

Thanks a bunch for the input guys. I'll have to head back and reshoot the image, as just leveling it in photoshop will cut the lines too much.

I wanted the tilt to emphasize the lines of the empty docks. I'll see if I can find a higher vantage point to shoot at to allow a similar impact but with a straighter horizon. I was already in a closed parking garage on the 2nd floor...maybe they have a roof?

hehe...

LOL, good point Peekay.

Derrel is one of the reasons why I still post up pictures here as I love getting CC from him.

I agree with level horizon. Other than that, its a good shot.

I always suggest that if your going to shoot a tilted photo, shoot one that is also level.

The tilt may work more if you make it a bit more obvious, but I think the straight lines may make it a bit limiting.

rofl, you might wait a while. I do have plans to go out shooting with a friend on a nice weekend day in January...IF we have one :)

Hmm... the more I look, the more it grows on me

So doctor, what does that mean ?

Crop half of it from the bottom make it an extreme pano. Decrease contrast and increase exposure, make is look like an old black and white of the docks with a modern tilt, Yeah Baby!
Then photoshop in some girls with old style swimming suits laying on the docks and.....Sorry got carried away, to early, to much coffee.
In my defense I have been editing wedding photos for the last 10 hours....happy new years!!

Most reactions

Back