Clubhouse Interior & Mural photography questions

LINYBIMMER

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have volunteered to shoot the interior of the clubhouse of a country club to which I belong. I have little to no experience shooting interiors, particularly walls with murals. My plan is to rent the gear I need, which at this point I surmise will consist of the 17 & 24mm TS-E lenses.

I will be using my 5dMIII camera and a sturdy tripod. I am wondering what modifiers/reflectors/lighting the kind folks in this forum might recommend, if any.
The interiors are poorly lit, but I will have time and access on my side. I own three 600 ex-rt flashes that I can bring to bear as well.

My budget for rental is up to $600 USD/1 week. Thanks for any and all opinions, thoughts and guidance.

It's very difficult to offer too much advice without knowing something about the venue, but off the top, I might go with the 24mm T/S and skip the 17 altogether. I suspect that most of my shooting would be done with either the 24-70 or the 14-24. You don't say how long these murals are, but assuming typical indoor conditions, I would choose the longest focal length that will let me get the entire height of the mural in frame, and then lay a tape strip down the hall parallel to the mural and mark off shooting points every 'X' feet (you will need to experiment) allowing for at least a 1/3 frame horizontal overlap and then combine in Photoshop.

Lighting can be easy, or very, very difficult, depending on the colours and media used. Worst case scenario will require two cross-polarized lights for each shot. Again, it will be critical that this is all marked out accurately, because if the lighting is not consistent, it will look like hell.

Are you familiar at all with shooting with T/S lenses?

It's very difficult to offer too much advice without knowing something about the venue, but off the top, I might go with the 24mm T/S and skip the 17 altogether. I suspect that most of my shooting would be done with either the 24-70 or the 14-24. You don't say how long these murals are, but assuming typical indoor conditions, I would choose the longest focal length that will let me get the entire height of the mural in frame, and then lay a tape strip down the hall parallel to the mural and mark off shooting points every 'X' feet (you will need to experiment) allowing for at least a 1/3 frame horizontal overlap and then combine in Photoshop.

Lighting can be easy, or very, very difficult, depending on the colours and media used. Worst case scenario will require two cross-polarized lights for each shot. Again, it will be critical that this is all marked out accurately, because if the lighting is not consistent, it will look like hell.
Thanks, Tirediron. That's a great idea for shooting the mural, I'll give that a go.

Are you familiar at all with shooting with T/S lenses?

Not as yet. However, my volunteering to shoot the interiors benefits all parties involved, including me. I'll have unlimited access to the club, the club will be closed for the season and after a few days of shooting I'm hoping to have learned enough about the lenses to produce acceptable images. I'll also have the 24-105 and a 50 1.8 with me so I'll have images from those lenses to fall back on.

Most reactions

Back