Coffee Bag Photography

adjacobson95

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Need some help with product photography! I got a gig shooting coffee beans and coffee bags, expecting them to be filled bags one would buy in the store. Instead, I received flat, unfilled bags with the coffee beans in separate ziplock bags. Is this normal? Did someone on their team make a mistake and send the wrong thing, or is this a normal practice for photographing coffee beans and packaging?

Yo!

I'm not qualified in product photography but I'm sure someone will come along and keep you right.

I received flat, unfilled bags with the coffee beans in separate ziplock bags. Is this normal?
Yes. Clients usually supply unused, unsealed packaging along with separate product samples. This is so that you can photograph opened packages without ugly rips or damage from opening.

A tip, if you do not have enough beans to fill the bag use packing peanuts or some other filler like wadded up paper towels to make the bag look full.
A friend had to use packing peanuts for a kitty litter bag shoot.

A tip, if you do not have enough beans to fill the bag use packing peanuts or some other filler like wadded up paper towels to make the bag look full.
A friend had to use packing peanuts for a kitty litter bag shoot.
:encouragement:

A product photographer has the opportunity to show creative
approaches, solutions more than in any other type of shooting.

Another tip:
Don't call the client and ask why they sent what they sent.

Hello and welcome, why not just phone the customer....
Be very careful here. You don’t want to convey surprise over what they sent.

Bags filled with beans get a “crumpled look” from the beans pressing against the bag. A newly filled bag looks crisp. It hasn’t been folded and sealed. And it would need to be cut or torn open. Sounds like they have more experience at photographing bags of beans than you. This is not necessarily a problem. But there is some reason they have not stayed with whomever they used the last time. I’d tactfully find out why and make sure I filled every need they have.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back