Cokin Filter suggestions

timlair

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, been a while since I've been around on the forums. College is taking up a LOT of time.

Anyways, just picked up a Cokin P system and was wondering on what filters you guys suggested I pick up.

Mostly looking for filters for landscape photography, but I'll take any suggestions for any type of photography. And if you could be as specific as possible with links and everything because from my personal research, there are SO MANY OPTIONS. I dont even know where to start.

Thanks!

Well, if you are doing landscape photography, you might want to look at Graduated Neutral Density filters, like these :Cokin Graduated Neutral Density Filter Kit CH250 B&H Photo Video, and a circular polarizer like this one:Cokin P164 Circular Polarizer Glass Filter CP164 B&H Photo Video.

These are just a few - sometimes, you can get ND Grads that have a soft edge - gradual transition between light part and dark part or ND Grads that have a hard edge to them - very sharp, well defined transition brtween dark part of the image and light part of image. I have both hard and soft ND Grads, but they are Lee filters and would not fit the Cokin P system.

If you are into the "warm" landscape affect, then something like this might be useful: Cokin P037 Warming (81EF) Resin Filter CP037 B&H Photo Video

and the list goes on...Hope this gives you some ideas.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Most filters are obsolete these days. For example, why use a warming filter when you can very easily apply the same effect in post processing...without the need to degrade your image by putting a piece of plastic in front of the lens.

That being said, split or graduated filters can be great for landscapes etc. They basically let you compress the dynamic range of the scene, allowing you to capture more of the scene in a single exposure. However, the trouble with them is that they are always a flat transition...and if you shoot something like mountains, the filter may not be the best option.

I'd suggest going to an old camera shop, if you are close to one. These places are usually filled with old (almost obsolete) stuff like filters. Pick up a couple graduated filters and see if you like using them or not.

In place of grad filters, to even out your exposure, many digital photographers are turning to HDR instead. If you haven't already, I'd suggest reading up on that as well.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the suggestions.

Most reactions

Back