cokin filters- help!

alexlang

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
ive heard people talking about the cokin filter system and how good it is...but whats the difference between the A, P, and X systems and how do they work?

thanks

They (P&A) are basically the same...except the P system uses bigger filters to cover wider angles. I don't know about X.

First there is a an adapter that slides into the holder and comes in different thread sizes to mount to the front of your lens.

Then there is the holder. It has several slots to hold square filters.

Then there are the filters. They are rectangular so that they fit into the slots on the holder.

It's quite a simple system. One problem however is that you are mounting rectangular filters onto a circular lens. So if you are using a filter that is meant to be vertical (split filter)...the filter will rotate if you have a lens that rotates the front element to focus.

http://go.to/Cokinfilters

I don´t know about those APX things
I have a couple of their filters most of them are arcrilic squares that you put in the filter holder, the good thing about those is that you have lots of control over filters that have color degradations. for example you are taking a pic of a landscape you can put the color degradation exactly at the line were the earth meets the sky you also can turn it at any angle you want if you want to take a picture verticaly isntead of horyzontally, I also have another filter that is glass in a plastic square that depending on how you turn it it becomes purple or blue. the bad thing about the acrilic squares is that they scratch up pretty easily so if you buy em, take good care of them

The A, P and X in the cokin filter system refers to the size of the filter.

A is the smallest, P Large, and X is even lager...

If you were thinking of buying the filters, I'd reccomend you went for the P system at first - it gives you good coverage, so you can use a fairly wide angle lens without rish of vignetting.

If you use extreme wide angle lenses, or medium or large format cameras, then you might be better using the X Filters, though they'll probably be more expensive.

Not sure what the letters stand for - possibly Amateur, Pro, and 'X'treme?

The A, P and X in the cokin filter system refers to the size of the filter.

A is the smallest, P Large, and X is even lager...

If you were thinking of buying the filters, I'd reccomend you went for the P system at first - it gives you good coverage, so you can use a fairly wide angle lens without rish of vignetting.

If you use extreme wide angle lenses, or medium or large format cameras, then you might be better using the X Filters, though they'll probably be more expensive.

j_mcquillen said:
Haha :lol:

I have a set of Cokin filters. I'm kinda just repeating what everybody else said but they are very nice. Easy to use too. Although, I don't use them very much.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back