Cokin P Series Filters on a Sigma 10-20

GeorgeUK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbmwforum.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to get some filters (in particular ND grads for some landscape work) and I've been steered towards the Cokin P Series.

For those that don't know, these are square filters that fit on the front of the lens via an adaptor like so:

ND%20Grad%20on%20D80.JPG

My landcape lens is a Sigma 10-20 and I'm worried whether this system would result in vignetting round the edges down towards the 10mm range.

Can anyone confirm/deny and perhaps recommend alternatives.

I'm tempted by the P series, as with the correct adaptor it can be used on multiple lenses.

Any help much appreciated.

The Cokin P filters are recommended for lenses from 28mm (35mm cameras) and above and will therefore vignette at the wide end of the 10-22mm lens. You could look at larger filters from Cokin such as the X and Z series. Have a look at their website to see what they recommend for wide angle lenses. That being said, I found that ND grads from Cokin are not truly neutral and sometimes give horrible purple cast to grey skies. Alternatives to Cokin are Lee or Formatt filters. I use both and never had any colour cast issues. Formatt and Lee filters are the same size (100mm) and can be used on a Lee holder, which is very versatile as you can design it to fit your needs (ie with only one slot and a wide angle adapter ring to avoid vignetting on wide angle lenses). Hope that helps.

The P series can be used with the sigma 10-20... you just need to make sure you buy the proper wide angle filter holder. At 10mm you will get some vignetting but its really not a problem to work with... i actually like it on alot of my wide shots.

i second what steph said. if you want to stick with Cokin, go with the Z or X series. I had the exact same question because I'm looking to buy a Sigma 10-20 also by January :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back