Entering a competition and need some comments

Bryant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My photography teacher likes my work so she has gotten me a special invite to a photography competition with a very large photography magazine. I've been working for the past 3 weeks choosing what out of hundreds of quality images to get 5 which will be entered. They are all black & white film as that is the portion that I'm entering in. Here are the 5 images and I'm looking for some comments on how to get it to that final stage ready to be sent off. Keep in mind that they have all seen major tweaks and refinements by 3 of my photography teachers, I take 3 different ones.

1. Waterfall
Picture2.png

2. Poi
Picture1-1.png

3. Seeder
Picture3.png

4. Barns
Picture4.png

5. Light-Portrait
Picture5.png

Thank you very much for all of your help in advance and I'll be very sure to let all of you know the results. Lets hope!

Wow I don't know what to say. None of them strike me as amazing or something that I have seen in shows. I would look for somemore to make the final cut.

Well, it's really quite tough to give any sort of critique when you've basically said, "well, I've shown them to my teachers and they've already seen these edits, so if you don't like them, well, too bad"

At least, that's how my experience with this kind of thing usually works out, your response may be different. But usually when people talk about others they've already shown it to all they are looking for is a pat on the back.

with that in mind... I like #1

To be truthfully honest, I wasn't looking to show of my work here. I was just hoping someone might catch something that could be changed that no one else has caught. Everyone views photographs differently.

Right-o: then let me say it: the back of the head of the girl (in general I like the window-light-only kind of portraits!) blends into the background. Don't know what more means there are to bring out the outline of her head against the background in full, but I feel that would need to be done. That might then - in consequence - also add some (no matter how subtly) detail to the SIDE of her head.

My problem with these is that they don't show consistency of style. There's such a wide range of imagery here (not only imagery, but technique), that it doesn't showcase anything that could be called a hallmark of your photography. Maybe you're going for versatility, but a series of shots that are a bit more connected might have been more compelling.

Why do you have to have a "special invite" to enter a contest in a very large photography mag? Those are always open to anyone. That's how new talent is discovered. What mag is it?

To be truthfully honest, I wasn't looking to show of my work here. I was just hoping someone might catch something that could be changed that no one else has caught. Everyone views photographs differently.

I like the portrait, but I'd 'shop out the peace earrings or retake it without them.

I like the portrait, but I'd 'shop out the peace earrings or retake it without them.
I have to agree. Those earrings are very distracting. Number one is the better of the bunch but, for a contest I would submit something with more pizazz.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back