Cokin P series question

demonsmasher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking at getting different filters. How many of you have used the cokin p series filter system and do you like it? Which would be best, getting a filter system like this or getting the round screw type of the filters you want? Seems to me with this system you get alot more filters for the money. What do you guys think? Also for those of you have used this. What is the make lens size can you use with the filters withit or dose it come in certin filter sizes. I know that it has the rings and you could use te stepup or step down rings with it.

I've used the Cokin A series (just like the P but smaller). You have the holder and then the adaptor ring. You can get different size rings or use step up rings for different lens diameters.

The advantage of this system, over round filters, is that you can slide the filters in the holder. So when using a split or grad filter, you can put the transition where you want it...rather than right in the middle.

Split/grad filters are great because they allow you to compress the dynamic range of a scene when taking the photo. The part that I don't like, is that they are all straight and I seldom run into a horizon that is straight like that.

Really, you can do just about anything with Photoshop now (and with a lot more flexibility than a filter)...which is why I don't use filters anymore...except for a circular polarizer or an ND.

I have used the Cokin filters and found them to be alright. There are better square filters out there but at a higher cost. If you go with the Cokins or any square type filter I would suggest that you go with the ZPro size. They are 100mm wide so they will fit about any lens you will be likely to buy other than large supertelephoto lenses and those usually have drop-in filter slots. A 100mm filter works fine on a 49mm front element lens, a 50mm filter does not work with a 77mm front element lens.

Big Mike is right. About the only thing to get in filters these days are ND filters, Grad ND filters and polerizing filters. The rest can be done post processsing at a cheaper cost.

I have the P series with the circular polariser. The rest of the filters are rectangular, but obviously this one is round, with a knurled edge that is supposed to help you to turn it in the holder.

It fits in the slot closest to the lens, where it is such a tight fit that it is hard to turn at all, so I tend to twist the holder. This wouldn't work if I had an ND grad in there as well, but they have been on back order for months, so I haven't got mine yet. Cokin are having problems supplying them at the moment - the H250A kit is the one I ordered back in July, but still waiting. The polariser may loosen up after a few more months of use.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back