gnagel

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.nagelphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
One of the reasons I purchased the D850 is for its versatility. So far, I have mostly used it for architecture and landscapes. But, I also like to shoot other things--like sports. The D850 exceeded my expectations yesterday when I attended the Ohio State at Illinois college baseball game.

Here are a a dozen of my favorites:

1- I used the pregame warmups to practice my photography. I haven't photographed baseball in a couple of years. The players don't wear their official uniforms until the game, though.
p2858255638-5.jpg

2- One thing is evident about college baseball (at least at the Illini games)--the players are having the time of their lives! It's obvious that everyone is having a great time. And that carries over into the stands. Cheap concessions and free admission add to the fun!
p2858255640-5.jpg

3- One of my first tasks was to get the obligatory "bat on ball" shot out of the way.
p2858255642-5.jpg

4- When I attached the 500mm lens to the D850, it made me feel like I was right in the middle of the action.
p2858255927-5.jpg

5- Can you see what happened here? Answer at the very bottom of this post.
p2858255808-5.jpg

6- This player put on his "rally glasses" in the top of the second inning. I guess it worked. Ohio State scored 5 runs that inning.
p2858255641-5.jpg

7- To shoot through the netting behind the plate, I removed the lens hood and placed the lens directly up against the net. Set the aperture to wide open and shoot away. Finally, just hope that a foul ball doesn't slam into the lens!
p2858255898-5.jpg

8- The home plate umpire called a nice game. I'm not sure that he's ever seen a 500mm lens pointed at him before, though!
p2858255944-5.jpg

9- The centerfield fence is 400 feet from home plate...plenty of distance to create nice, soft backgrounds.
p2858255865-5.jpg

10-
p2858256005-5.jpg

11-
p2858255645-5.jpg

12- The Ohio State pitcher put a little extra into this pitch.
p2858255876-5.jpg

So, here's what happened in #5. The batter foul tipped the pitch. It slammed into the catcher's face mask (knocking the mask away from his face). The ball then bounced back toward the hitter.

Granted, I haven't shot with a D5, yet. And, I'm not claiming that the D850 is as good for sports. But, the autofocus was snappy...I had very few photographs that weren't sharp. The high resolution files produce some stunning detail. The camera produced nice image quality even from the higher ISO settings that I sometimes had to use. It was an overcast day and rained a few times during the game. Overall, I was impressed with the performance of the D850. Now, I want to shoot more baseball!

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

Glenn, really nice shots, can almost smell hot dogs and popcorn!

GOOD shots :icon_thumleft:

Baseball is a fun game to shoot.
Since you have the 500, try shooting from just outside the outfield fence towards home plate. The 300mm on my DX body was barely long enough. You will likely need a stool or small step ladder to get you above the fence.
Get in good with the coach, and shoot practice, ON the field.

I love your pitcher shots.
At my high school, they have a wooden panel behind home plate, in place of the chain link fence. So I cannot get that shot during a game. I have to arrange with the coach to do it during practice. And even then, I want the safety net in front of me. A pitched ball is scary fast.
I think the balls were getting damaged when they hit the chain link fence, hence the wood panel.

Very good action shots
Thanks Jeff
Glenn, really nice shots, can almost smell hot dogs and popcorn!
Thank you, Jeff...and the $2 nachos!
GOOD shots :icon_thumleft:

Baseball is a fun game to shoot.
Since you have the 500, try shooting from just outside the outfield fence towards home plate. The 300mm on my DX body was barely long enough. You will likely need a stool or small step ladder to get you above the fence.
Get in good with the coach, and shoot practice, ON the field.

I love your pitcher shots.
At my high school, they have a wooden panel behind home plate, in place of the chain link fence. So I cannot get that shot during a game. I have to arrange with the coach to do it during practice. And even then, I want the safety net in front of me. A pitched ball is scary fast.
I think the balls were getting damaged when they hit the chain link fence, hence the wood panel.
Thanks!...yes, the shot from centerfield wasn't possible yesterday. The wall is quite tall...and there is a platform that is used by the video team that extends over the wall. The stairs to that platform are secured by a locked door. I live 125 miles from the park, so I only go once a year to see a game and shoot some pictures. I'm very fortunate that they let me bring my gear into the stands.

Glenn

VERY nice baseball photos, Glenn. Good shootin'!

Great set. I love baseball. I immediately knew that ball was fouled off the catchers mask, the mask gave it away. Lol. Great timings .

Great set, as I don`t know much about the game I did think it hit the catcher in the face.

Great set!
VERY nice baseball photos, Glenn. Good shootin'!
Really good stuff ... professional stuff.
Great set. I love baseball. I immediately knew that ball was fouled off the catchers mask, the mask gave it away. Lol. Great timings .
Great set, as I don`t know much about the game I did think it hit the catcher in the face.
Thanks everyone! I hope to get back out there again during the Fighting Illini's last home stand.

Glenn

Have never watched it, but interesting actions shots.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back