color & Black and White Flowers

blackrose89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hmmm.. looks like you are definitely getting your focusing skills down.. and the DOF on these is pretty good.

I do like #4.. good color, and it is sharp! It does look like it might be a bit underexposed though!

Black and White flowers? To me, a flower is the epitome of color! For B&W to work, the shot and the flower both have to be extraordinary!

Hmmm.. looks like you are definitely getting your focusing skills down.. and the DOF on these is pretty good.I do like #4.. good color, and it is sharp! It does look like it might be a bit underexposed though!Black and White flowers? To me, a flower is the epitome of color! For B&W to work, the shot and the flower both have to be extraordinary!
Thanks. B&W is personal preference I guess lol. I also tried experimenting with light. I used an additional light source to try to highlight the centers of the flowers beat I could.

Hmmm.. looks like you are definitely getting your focusing skills down.. and the DOF on these is pretty good.I do like #4.. good color, and it is sharp! It does look like it might be a bit underexposed though!Black and White flowers? To me, a flower is the epitome of color! For B&W to work, the shot and the flower both have to be extraordinary!
I also ordered tubes so that'll be great!!!

With something like flowers I feel that Black and White is all about textures and highlighting those textures over the colours presented (whereas colour presentation tends to hide some of the texture in the colour). So when I look at your choices in black and white I feel like something is lacking because I'm not (though this is only my own thoughts) seeing that texture and I'm left feeling "hmm I wonder what colour that is" - more as if something is missing than if its a thought prompted by the photo (I think that line makes some sense ;)).

With something like flowers I feel that Black and White is all about textures and highlighting those textures over the colours presented (whereas colour presentation tends to hide some of the texture in the colour). So when I look at your choices in black and white I feel like something is lacking because I'm not (though this is only my own thoughts) seeing that texture and I'm left feeling "hmm I wonder what colour that is" - more as if something is missing than if its a thought prompted by the photo (I think that line makes some sense ;)).

I get it... I think.... :lol:

This isn't the best example.. but it does show some of the texture that Overread is talking about. I do agree with him about B&W flowers having to have textures and tonal variations / highlights to be effective !

lil11x14.jpg

and a crop showing detail on the stamens...

lill-crop-11x14.jpg

This isn't the best example.. but it does show some of the texture that Overread is talking about. I do agree with him about B&W flowers having to have textures and tonal variations / highlights to be effective !

lil11x14.jpg

and a crop showing detail on the stamens...

lill-crop-11x14.jpg

Think I get it.

What type of set up do you use to get shots like this, with the flowers lit and the black b/g?

What type of set up do you use to get shots like this, with the flowers lit and the black b/g?

honestly, just winging it with what I have. I don't have much outside of my cameras and tri pod. I don't even have an external flash yet. My set up was on my dresser. I used the best lit room in the house (natural light), stuck the flowers in a small block of styrafoam took make them stand. Then I just took a small desk lamp and wrapped a paper towel sheet around it, taped it tightly to soften the light and I used that to light the center of the flowers. For the background I just taped up black posterboard on the wall.

Last edited:
Wow, very nice. Crisp.
Good choice on longer exposure and low ISO.

Was your backdrop setup black or are you using low-key technique?

I enjoy the BW when the flowers have lots of markings, otherwise, colour when they are bright, like the red one. Sorry I don't know the names to too many flowers...

As for 0109 and 0108, they do not do much for me. Too plain.

OH OH OH! Flowers! Infrared! Try Infrared!
SOLARISATION!

Wow, very nice. Crisp.
Good choice on longer exposure and low ISO.

Was your backdrop setup black or are you using low-key technique?

I enjoy the BW when the flowers have lots of markings, otherwise, colour when they are bright, like the red one. Sorry I don't know the names to too many flowers...

As for 0109 and 0108, they do not do much for me. Too plain.

OH OH OH! Flowers! Infrared! Try Infrared!
SOLARISATION!

Black set up. I used black posterboard. I typed out my whole set up a few comments up. I actually agree, # 4 and #5 are the weaker ones IMO. My favorites are #1, #2, and #3.

Oh and if anyone actually knows the names of the flowers and could tell me, that would be awesome!!!!

Missed the black part >.<

NUmber 6 appears to be under exposed.
Out of all of them I prefer number 2
Number 4 isn't bad but could use some slight brightening, In my non professional opinion.
The focus and depth of field on them all, looks very good compared to some of your earlier works.
You've come quite a ways.

If I were you I'd get me a YN560 flash unit as soon as possible. Study up on the inverse square law.
And start using flash as soon as possible. There is no time like the present and this is something you will need to do eventually , to become well rounded with your use of light.
I speak on this as a complete amature when it comes to flash, who realized that to become well rounded in photography, it is an absolute must to incorporate flash.
In other words, I saw the light.

This is not to detract from natural lighting. There will be times to use flash and times not to.

NUmber 6 appears to be under exposed.
Out of all of them I prefer number 2
Number 4 isn't bad but could use some slight brightening, In my non professional opinion.
The focus and depth of field on them all, looks very good compared to some of your earlier works.
You've come quite a ways.

If I were you I'd get me a YN560 flash unit as soon as possible. Study up on the inverse square law.
And start using flash as soon as possible. There is no time like the present and this is something you will need to do eventually , to become well rounded with your use of light.
I speak on this as a complete amature when it comes to flash, who realized that to become well rounded in photography, it is an absolute must to incorporate flash.
In other words, I saw the light.

This is not to detract from natural lighting. There will be times to use flash and times not to.

#2 has a huge amount of dead space.. and probably would have been nicer shot vertically! But the flower is sharp, and colorful! :)

Most reactions

Back