Color Space... "It all depends"...

Bingo! You have it.

Soft proofing lets you view the image as if it were in the device's color space, be it sRGB or whatever, while working in another color space. ProRGB probably works fine, AdobeRGB is just used within the printing industry that I am familiar with and is what I learned on in college - it's just when I think of "wide gamut" I think "adobeRGB", even though proRGB is even larger. Just to be clear, ProRGB is fine, as far as I can tell, so long as you don't try to send out of gamut colors to your device - and that's what soft proofing is for.

Color management is WAY more mind boggling than sensor crop, it's all in this ethereal world with no "there there".

Last edited:
Just to clarify Lightrooms color management
When you work an image te Develop Module, ProPhoto is the working space. The histogram usesd the tonal response of sRGB
When images are previewed in the Library mode, Adobe RGB is used for the preview
When working with "rendered" files Jpeg, Tiff, Psd. The embedded color profile of that file is honored (In other-words what ever you exported it with or save with in another program) if no profile is embedded it is assigned sRGB

So if the OP, exports a file( Jpeg, PSD, Tiff) to PS embeded with sRGB or saves a file is PS with sRGB That profile will be honored when opened again in Lightroom

Just to clarify Lightrooms color management
When you work an image te Develop Module, ProPhoto is the working space. The histogram usesd the tonal response of sRGB
When images are previewed in the Library mode, Adobe RGB is used for the preview
When working with "rendered" files Jpeg, Tiff, Psd. The embedded color profile of that file is honored (In other-words what ever you exported it with or save with in another program) if no profile is embedded it is assigned sRGB

So if the OP, exports a file( Jpeg, PSD, Tiff) to PS embeded with sRGB or saves a file is PS with sRGB That profile will be honored when opened again in Lightroom

I'm not an LR user but I get asked a lot, so verify this for me: I bring a RAW file into LR and it's in the Pro-Photo color space at that point. Of course I can export it to sRGB when I'm ready and it will be converted from Pro-Photo to sRGB. It is therefore possible for the photo to change appearance in that conversion process. LR as shipped does not provide a way for me to preview that potential conversion change? Right?

If I view a tagged (ICC profile) RGB file in LR then LR will display the photo correctly using the tagged color space. Right?

If the 2nd point is correct that's a plus for LR. If the 1st point is correct then I'm still glad I don't use it.

e.rose: sRGB -- Photoshop will show it to you for what it is and apparently so will LR once the conversion is done. sRGB is the right answer for you & your customers.

Joe

[/QUOTE]

I'm not an LR user but I get asked a lot, so verify this for me: I bring a RAW file into LR and it's in the Pro-Photo color space at that point. Of course I can export it to sRGB when I'm ready and it will be converted from Pro-Photo to sRGB. It is therefore possible for the photo to change appearance in that conversion process. LR as shipped does not provide a way for me to preview that potential conversion change? Right?

If I view a tagged (ICC profile) RGB file in LR then LR will display the photo correctly using the tagged color space. Right?

If the 2nd point is correct that's a plus for LR. If the 1st point is correct then I'm still glad I don't use it.

e.rose: sRGB -- Photoshop will show it to you for what it is and apparently so will LR once the conversion is done. sRGB is the right answer for you & your customers.

Joe[/QUOTE]

That's correct.

Photoshop is still miles ahead when it comes to color management and soft proofing Lightroom kinda idiot proofs things. In fact Adobe doesn't even want you to know how the Color managmennt works in LR but they did release what I listed

I use Adobe RGB from start to finish for prints, and then Save for Web in CS4 into sRgb. Our eyes can't see a good chunk of the entire gamut of Prophoto, so I don't see the point in shooting in it. That's just me though :)

I didn't read all of the responses, but I know that softproofing was mentioned. The one problem with colorspaces in general, is that your monitor most likely cannot display 100% of every gamut anyway, so there is going to be some guess work and chance regardless. However there is an out of gamut warning that you can activate in Photoshop. It may be in addition to the soft-proof ( I can't remember and am not at my work computer right now ). That way, if you are working in Prophoto and are pushing certain colors to an area that is not capable of being displayed on sRGB, you can have a little warning overlay on the picture ( much like the blown highlight warnings on your cameras LCD ) Then you can adjust that color by backing off that color with a saturation layer until the warning goes away. Or if it is a small amount , you may just be able to live with it not being 100% what you see on your screen. This helps circumvent deficiencies in your display's capabilities, although it shtill is not foolproof.

I also will add, that I agree that working in wider gamut colorspaces is pretty pointless if you are working mainly for the web, but there are some instances to use wider gamut. Some printers can make use of them. Also, many publications wish to receive files in other colorspaces. For instance, Arizona Highways requests 12x18 @ 300ppi in the AdobeRGB colorspace. So if you were planning on multiple usages for a photo, it may make sense to save a Tiff or PSD file in Adobe or Prophoto and then output a Jpeg in sRGB for web use.

Last edited:
I am not 100% sure of this, but if you have your display profile set properly, this should not be an issue.

The display end of color management gets kind of confusing, so you might be correct. I am pretty sure, however, that what you'd be looking at with the gamut warning is all the colors within the working profile that are out of gamut in the selected device profile you are proofing, and not necessarily colors that are out of display gamut - unless you select the display profile in proof setup.

I'm thinking though that the selected display profile clamps the gamut into what can actually be seen on the monitor, assuming it is calibrated properly. Otherwise, what other purpose is there for a display profile?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back