Color technique

sirhoff

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm not new to photography but I am self-taught and feel like I'm often missing on basic techniques. I'm fascinated with Jamie Beck's style and wonder if anyone knows her technique for getting that very soft vintage aura to her shots such as these. I'd love to hear others' thoughts.
From Me To You - Holiday Cards!

just some color curve filters. You can get lots of funky looks by bending the curves a bit. Google cross process curve presets and you should find some stock one you and tinker with. She probably has custom ones she set herself. You can also get looks like this with the white balance setting in your camera but I usually do it in post.

There seems to be vignettes on most of the shots. Also, you can mess with color and contrast in Curves. You can also open a Selective Color adjustment layer and lower the black slider for specific colors which help to reduce the deep vibrant color and give the colors more of a washed out look. You can also use a Color Balance Adjustment layer to tweak colors and give a slight color cast, as well as a Filter Adjustment Layer. There are a million ways to get to roughly the same point, you just have to tinker with it. There is most likely some sort of contrast adjustment after the color is achieved because the images seem to have a heavy contrast, but a lower color contrast. If manipulating the colors in RGB, you are going to inadvertently mess up the luminosity as well. You could work in LAB mode to avoid this, but you could probably just throw a Contrast adjustment layer as the last step and bump the contrast slightly.

Thats just off the top of my head and it should get you pointed in the right direction.

Thanks for all the good advice. It sounds like she's doing most of this in post. I was too wondering if there is anything happening in the capture phase.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back