gnagel

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.nagelphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I enjoyed spending the better part of an afternoon walking the streets of downtown St. John's, Newfoundland. The only downside was having to climbs so many hills...it reminded me of San Francisco. According to my Fitbit, I climbed 56 flights of stairs for this photo shoot!

1- Capturing this photograph from Signal Hill was challenging due to the strong wind. At first, I set the camera for the optimal image quality settings (ISO 64), but after carefully reviewing the pictures on the back of the D850 I could see that none of them were sharp. Although the camera was secured to a tripod, the 40 mph wind was causing too much camera vibration. I was hoping to time the exposure when the wind died down--but that wasn't happening.

Most of my tricks to combat the wind weren't working. Normally, I will stand close to the camera and hold my jacket wide open to block the wind. In this case, the wind was blowing straight into the lens...no chance to block the wind without standing in front of the lens. Eventually, I removed the lens hood as it was acting as a sail! Then, I increased the ISO and shutter speed. Most importantly, I shot continuous high burst in hopes of getting one sharp picture...and 1 of 20 came out sharp!
p3042971480-5.jpg

p3042971402-5.jpg

p3042971307-5.jpg

p3042971403-5.jpg

p3042971313-5.jpg

p3042971308-5.jpg

p3042971465-5.jpg

p3042971310-5.jpg

p3042971429-5.jpg

p3042971431-5.jpg

I have many more images to process from St. John's.

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

Last edited:
Great shots, looks like the owner of local paint store, probably has the most secure future in town.

Amazing colours. Really enjoying coming along with you on your trip.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Nice set of photos! Thanks for sharing, I enjoy seeing what catches your eye and your quality work.

Lovely and very interesting shots..................

House colors are always a shocker in Newfoundland, even in St John's. This is true in the rest of Newfoundland as well.

My mother was a native Newfoundlander. I went there some 50 years ago and I looked a lot like these pics back then. Lovely place and some great shots.

When I was 23 ( a long time ago) I spent a year in Canada on a work visa. Unfortunately didnt get over to Newfoundland but picked apples with some Newfoundlanders in Nova Scotia. Funnily enough my mate and I where asked a couple of times if we were from Newfoundland due to our Australian accents.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I really like your pictures in this set.

Most reactions

Back