What's new

ColorRight Pro White Balance Filter

TwiceTown

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 25, 2011
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Location
Los Angeles, Calif.
This system actually works great and is the only WB filter that takes flash into account when providing a custom white balance profile. That's why it looks like a big ball. It takes in light from all sides. My only problem with it is that it's a bit too cumbersome to carry. I already have a pretty overstuffed bag so this doesn't fit and I just end up guessing color temp or fixing in post. It's in great shape and comes with cord that allows you to hang it around your neck. It's a universal size so just goes over your lens. Fit's all my 77mm and smaller lenses without a problem. $75.

Colorright.jpg
 
Last edited:
How does it work? Why are you selling yours, or do you have multiples for sale? Interesting device!
 
Just have this one. You put it over your lens, switch off the autofocus and shoot. Then set for custom white balance. It even takes flash. I'm selling because it's too big for my bag. Plus, I've gotten the knack of guessing color temp and just do any post afterwards.
 
Thanks for the reply. I've never seen one before. Is it "18% grey"? It's opaque..so does it blend all the light values?
 
Last edited:
It mixes all the light that enters the lens into one color. That's the color used to set your white balance.

They're really simple to use. Pop it on, set your camera up to record an image for setting white balance, and press the shutter release. As long as the lighting doesn't change, you don't have to worry about white balance.

I use one similar (Expodisk). When I'm shooting indoors under consistent lighting, I do a Preset and shoot away. During outdoor sessions, it can lie to you if it's a partly cloudy day.... if you set it when the sun is out, you're WB will be off when the sun gets covered by the clouds and vice versa. On clear, sunny days, reset your WB ever 1-2 hours as the color temp of the sky will change.
 
Thanks, that's what I assumed. Although i didn't know whether 'median', 'average' or (?) would describe the value being fed into the lightmeter :)

But is it filtering light through opaque material which is 18% grey?
 
It doesn't make anything gray. It just mixes up all the colors that are present. It's not for setting exposure by any means.... just color temp.

The trick is to aim it at the light source, not the subject.
 
Oh yea. Sorry my bad :) you were right (for a few seconds lol). Thanks!
 
Right, just color temp. It's really best when used indoors and when you have a lot of artificial light sources. Those situations usually fool the camera auto settings, especially in mixed light settings. Works pretty well outdoors at night when you're shooting under street lamps. Those sodum vapor lights always shoot really warm on auto white balance settings. Of course, to really balance the lights, you need to slap on gels.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom