Colors of the subject too intense?

Gerardo_G

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is a work of mine I photographed. I tried to give life to the subject by showing intense colors. Can you please answer this for me? Does the artwork look good with those intense colors or are they too intense for it to look good?

uc

I'm an amateur with an amateur camera. I probably didn't use the best settings:

Camera: Canon PowerShot A1200
Lens: 5-20 mm
Shot at 5 mm (shot wide open)
Exposure: Auto exposure, 1/6 sec, f/2.8, ISO 200
Flash: Off, Did not fire
Focus: Single, Manual AF point selection, with a depth of field of from 0.9 m to infinity.
AF Area Mode: Single-point AF

Then I used Photoshop to edit things like brightness, contrast, exposure, intensity, and saturation.

If you want to share any other feedback please don't forget to answer as well the question at the top of this thread.

Thanks in advance :).

Last edited:
The colors appear to be accurate to life, so unless you're thinking of re-making this art with different colors, I think the photograph should stand as it is, color-wise at least. If you made significant adjustments to the colors, then my question is; are these colors true to life?

As far as the photograph is concerned, I think the oblique angle, stray reflections, and an extra shadow on the wall are not doing this artwork any favors. I'd say try some different angles, watch the reflections, and experiment with the lighting.

If your camera will capture the Raw file, you can more easily adjust the colors as needed to accurately depict the true colors.

The subject is red and yellow; they just look a bit duller in the unedited picture.

Unfortunately I can't take new shots of the subject and this is the best one I took. I could try removing the extra shadow with PhotoShop CS6. I tried with the fill option set to content-aware but it added half of the artpiece where the shadow used to be. What am I doing wrong to remove the shadow? Can you please help me out?

Oh, and my camera doesn't capture RAW files :(.

Last edited:
Learn more about how to use light direction, and quality, to your advantage.
The difference between a really good photograph and a poor or mediocre photograph usually boils down to the light.

Thanks KmH :)! And what about removing the shadow using PhotoShop CS6?

Get in the habit of making the photograph as close to right in the camera rather than relying on using Ps post process to correct problems with your photographs.

One way to get rid of the shadow is to use the Clone Stamp tool using a clone source close to the shadow so any light gradient above/below the outside the shadow match. Frankly, I would be much more concerned with the reflections on the glazing in front of the art than with the shadows.

Adobe TV

Those are really good tips KmH. I'll try to make an effort to take better pictures.

Most reactions

Back