Colorspace issues

JeffieLove

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I hate this crap..

How do you change the colorspace of a photo?

I originally edited in lightroom. Used the adjustment brush to selective color. Exported to edit in CS5 to take care of a problem in the upper right corner... saved, uploaded to flickr and the color of the flower is funky. I was able to figure out that for some reason the color space is prophoto instead of srgb... How do I fix it? :(

here's the picture: ETA: Please don't comment on the selective color... I know it's not "for everyone" but I like it on this picture :) K? Thanks. :)

5452756342_2e5dbf7c06_z.jpg

The flower should be more of a hot pink color

I like the color used and I'm unforunately not much help on changing it. I do believe a hot pink might be overkill but maybe that's cause I enjoy the softness of this one.

Open you image in Photoshop, go under the edit tab and go down to Color settings. Inside there you find a tab for working color space, change it from prophoto to SRGB or ADOBE RGB 1998 depending on what the use is. Hope this helps!

Also, check lightrooms settings ( not sure how ) but ACR in pbotoshop can be set to open a RAW file in a certain colospace as well.

I would recommend you click on Edit > Convert To Profile rather than use the Color Settings function.

Lightroom uses the ProPhoto RGB color space and ProPhoto RGB is also the preferred color space to use for editing in CS.

You just have to be mindful to be sure and Convert to Profile based on the image use.

Regarding the Color Settings dialog box relative to color management: Since you are in North America you should have North America Prepress 2 selected. That will make your Photoshop workspace Adobe RGB, but I recommend you change the Adobe RGB to ProPhoto RGB.

The prepress setting will also adjust the policy settings to preserve embedded profiles and to alert you when there are profile mismatch warnings.

It is annoying, all my photos look a tad darker when I export to Flickr.

When I export to flickr (Using Jeffrey Friedl's plugin) I have the option to change the colorspace. You may want to try that?

5454836118_5867492130_z.jpg

Okay, that's what the image is supposed to look like...

I'm confused as to why I would want to leave it in prophoto if that isn't showing as the right color?

KmH, you kinda lost me on your post. Maybe I just read it too fast and wasn't quite understanding lol... I'll re-read it again later and see if I can put it all together in my jumbled brain... :)

Because the other colorspaces have a wider gamut of color. So some people will say to.shoot in adobeRGB instead of sRGB ( most slrs have this option ) to retain more color info in the image ( a bigger gamut ). However, all of the web displays in sRGB, and most print labs use sRGB (except maybe the high end ones) So unless using an inkjet for home printing (which can print AdobeRGB ) this can be a pointless step of converting.

And because it's your browser not reading the color space.

No, not "all of the web" displays sRGB.
Safari is color space aware. IE isn't.

And because it's your browser not reading the color space.

No, not "all of the web" displays sRGB.
Safari is color space aware. IE isn't.

Fair enough. However, it doesn't make sense to have half of people viewing your images online, to see the wrong colorspace displayed.

I always change my profiles in PS its one of the last steps I do before I save the file. Only makes viewing images easier on the web but it solved the weird color cast issue I was having when they kept showing up dark.

I'm relatively new to post-process and have a limited understanding of colorspace as well. I have been shooting in AdobeRGB (for wider gamut) RAW and editing/converting to JPG (RAW-PSD-JPG) for internet display yet haven't noticed any dramatic color difference?

I'm pretty sure my printer (Pixma Pro9000) works with AdobeRGB.

More info on this subject appreciated :)

I'm relatively new to post-process and have a limited understanding of colorspace as well. I have been shooting in AdobeRGB (for wider gamut) RAW and editing/converting to JPG (RAW-PSD-JPG) for internet display yet haven't noticed any dramatic color difference?

I'm pretty sure my printer (Pixma Pro9000) works with AdobeRGB.

More info on this subject appreciated :)

Go to Cambridge in Colour - Photography Tutorials & Learning Community . Click on "Tutorials". Scroll down to the section with the heading "Color Management".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back