Combining Multiple Flashes For More Light Output Works ????

I tried. But even then the flash output wouldnt and didnt change and it was quite low for 4 flashes blasting in one direction.

And heres another one...for anyone who might have missed them.

Seeing the first video on here....thats 8 flashes alright but did you see the reach ? From the bridge right down to the surfers maybe about 20-30 feet or even further away im guessing.

So with my 4 flashes with GN 53 (i admit they arent SB900's) they cant even reach 10 feet ? Ive seen 1000s of shots on flickr and its quite apparent from thier own descriptions and set up explanations that the flashes were 8 feet, 7 feet and so on away from the subject. Ok but these were one canon 430 ex or 580 ex. Fine i agree. But i refuse to understand how 4 x 53 GN speedlights cannot reach 10 feet (when one SB800 can do the same). I cant grip the concept. I do understand the physics behind it all and about light falloff. Inverse square law and all that.

UNLESS....maybe only 2 of them are firing simultaneously ? and then the other 2 etc. Because i had each flash on its own independent trigger. But flash durations being 1/2000th of a sec and maybe even faster. To the naked eye it might look like all fired simultaneously. But maybe 2 of them fired not within the shutter speed range ? Im just thinking aloud here.

What's behind the soft box at 1:49?

~~~

Honestly, I think this whole thing is just a stupid kludge, it's pointless, and cost ineffective. Even if it were possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to also keep in mind that all of the videos posted on this thread are using High Speed Sync that is allowing for very HIGH shutter speeds.

Kmh > yes i definitely understand that my economy YN-460 IIs cannot be on par with a 580 EX II. But im sure 2 of the YNs paired next to each other should be able to match up from pure simple math. Unless the YNs are lesser than 50% the brightness of the Canons.

Also i have a related question. Once the trigger is on top of my camera i cant set the flash to IInd curtain sync is it ?

Uh, NO, two 460's paired up, even at full power, doesn't even equal ONE 580 EX-II...the Yongy GN KmH listed above is at ISO 200!!! Those are WEAK flashes. With them set to 1/4 power, they are gutless. You are not doing the so-called "simple math" using the right formula...

Si9nce it doesn't sound like you have a ligght meter, why not do a simple test to see if you are actually getting all 4 to sync.
get a white peice of paper and place the lights say 3 feet away.

Turn on one flash and get an exposure of Middle gray from the white paper, ( Histogram centered) Now turn on the 2nd one, take a shot, 3rd Flash, Shot, 4th flash, shot. If you don't see the histogram move to the right. Then you have a problem with them firing in sync with the camera.

If that is NOT your problem. Then you know they just have no power and they suck

Si9nce it doesn't sound like you have a ligght meter, why not do a simple test to see if you are actually getting all 4 to sync.
get a white peice of paper and place the lights say 3 feet away.

Turn on one flash and get an exposure of Middle gray from the white paper, ( Histogram centered) Now turn on the 2nd one, take a shot, 3rd Flash, Shot, 4th flash, shot. If you don't see the histogram move to the right. Then you have a problem with them firing in sync with the camera.

If that is NOT your problem. Then you know they just have no power and they suck

Why not just shoot the four flashes?

Yes shooting the flashes is a simpler solution and the day i got my triggers itself i took them outdoors, to check the wireless range, then stood up all my flashes in a row. Then i walked away 50 feet, 75 feet, 100 feet, all the while clicking away towards the flashes and checking the shot to see if they all triggered. They did. But as i got as far as 200 feet, occasionally (1 in 10 shots) one flash or so wouldnt fire. But im hardly going to need that distance.

Derrel > What is the right formula / math ? Ill try.

For two reason

1. To eliminate the possibility you were shooting at a shutter speed that may show Flashes firing, but not syncing. In my situation at 1/15th I saw two flash fires. So I mistakenly thought both were in sync. But at any higher shutter speed there was only one flash fire.

2. So he could see for himself the effect of adding more flashes, as the histogram moved you could estimate the gain.

That's all...do as you please.

Don't scimp on lighting and triggers =)

For two reason

1. To eliminate the possibility you were shooting at a shutter speed that may show Flashes firing, but not syncing. In my situation at 1/15th I saw two flash fires. So I mistakenly thought both were in sync. But at any higher shutter speed there was only one flash fire.

2. So he could see for himself the effect of adding more flashes, as the histogram moved you could estimate the gain.

That's all...do as you please.
All he has to do is shoot them at the shutter speed he's using to shoot the subject with, and he'll know in an instant.

Yes as Buckster says, If i just shot all three flashes directly at 1/200th of a second. Which happens to be the highest sync speed possible and also will test the sync speed to the max speed limit. This will show if all flashes are firing. The histogram thing seems a little complicated and round about. But nevertheless it also may be a legitimate method though.

Last edited:
Ten feet? That's a tall order even for high-$ OCFs.

I dont know if you are confusing 10 feet with 10 meters. But to say 10 feet is too large a distance for standard (or even high end) OCFs is just plain unbelievable and proved wrong.

I just went thru several flickr images from the strobist group. And several shots that are extremely well illuminated have been done with modest flashes, with around 5pm ambient light and with around 15 feet of distance between the subject and flash, that too with an octabox slapped on, and also added to this is the fact that the flash was fired at 1/4 power. So to say even high $ OCFs wouldnt work @ 10 feet distances is a bit rash.

Its like saying all flashes but the very best (in this case including the very best) were designed to be used right in the subjects face.

Ten feet? That's a tall order even for high-$ OCFs.

I dont know if you are confusing 10 feet with 10 meters. But to say 10 feet is too large a distance for standard (or even high end) OCFs is just plain unbelievable and proved wrong.

I just went thru several flickr images from the strobist group. And several shots that are extremely well illuminated have been done with modest flashes, with around 5pm ambient light and with around 15 feet of distance between the subject and flash, that too with an octabox slapped on, and also added to this is the fact that the flash was fired at 1/4 power. So to say even high $ OCFs wouldnt work @ 10 feet distances is a bit rash.

Its like saying all flashes but the very best (in this case including the very best) were designed to be used right in the subjects face.

Well, obviously I don't know squat then, and you're the Supreme Stobist. I'll shut up now.

I never meant anything like that. Im the one who doesnt know too much about this. Thats why im asking. :)

But that particular point seems to have slipped. Come on, even biggest experts make small mistakes at times, why cant this be taken like that.

Thats why i said maybe you assumed we were talking meters (because then my 10 meters would be too much distance away from the subject) those are small typography kind of errors that even experts can make.

But still id like you to tell me how every 4th or 5th shot on Flickr with modest flashes and mostly with YN-460 IIs are shot with 10-20 feet OCF to subject distance. And the subjects are far from underexposed.

This is just a healthy debate (not an arguement) and id appreciate if you'd just treat it that way. Nothing personal please. And dont run your mouth off with dramatics like im a "supreme strobist etc". I only said that particular point on OCF distance was maybe wrong. And your trying to take it out on me for that ?

Last edited:
KEH camera has some vivitar 285hv's...Although they are bulky, they offer a lot of power. I'm sure they have much more than the yn465. I dont recall the GN right now but I have them. In excellent condition from KEH, you can get one for under $70 shipped. More bang for your buck.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back