Comet C/2020 F3 NEOWISE

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm sure many of you have seen mention of this comet on the internet recently. It fast became visible to the naked eye and is really spectacular to see, hence garnering a lot of attention. It's not often a comet is visible to the naked eye and so close to the Earth. The comet is making its pass between the Sun and the Earth, making the nucleus and tail exceptionally bright. It is best seen just before dawn and it rises in the northeast to an altitude of about 10° above the horizon. In my location it rises at about 3:15am and is visible through about 4:30am. I shot these images at about 4:15am overlooking a nearby lake.

Nikon D500
70-200 @ f/3.2
10 second at ISO250

2020-07-12_01-09-15.jpg

2020-07-12_01-09-10.jpg

He’s a great! I was hoping somebody on the forum had gotten photos of the comet. I’ve been wondering if it’s visible around here, I’ll have to do some investigating. How long will it be visible?

Awesome shot! =]

Well captured.

I recall seeing Halleys Comet a few years back. Long story but I was drunk, full of curry and had just had a singularly unpleasant flight back from London.

Nice set. It's best you keep getting up around 4 am to get pics like that so I don't have to. Thanks for your efforts!

Freakin' awesome! I've actually been avoiding the news lately so I hadn't heard about it. Very jealous.

Great shot! I had just read about it and was thinking of going out to see it myself.

Great shot! I had just read about it and was thinking of going out to see it myself.

Where in MA would you go?

Not sure yet. I believe it is off to the northeast so maybe some place like Good Harbor Beach. I'm going to did my map out and look around. I'll let you know.

He’s a great! I was hoping somebody on the forum had gotten photos of the comet. I’ve been wondering if it’s visible around here, I’ll have to do some investigating. How long will it be visible?
How to see Comet NEOWISE in the night sky this month | Space

It looks like best visibility is in the evening from 7/14 - 7/19.
See you out there.

Nope. North - northwest.

I can't come up with a good place great without a long drive. I'm going to try my luck at Wingaersheek Beach. The view should be looking out over the water up towards Hampton, NH. Hopefully it will be far enough away that the lights don't interfere with visibility too much.

I wonder if there’s a way to get Anisquam Lighthouse in the foreground?

Most reactions

Back