Comments on my 1st ever photos taken with a DSLR?

MlHazim

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So i finally went out and tried to take some pictures with my new Nikon D5200, i sadly couldn't really get any good photos although i do great with my point and shoot camera. practicing and learning still, only my 1st week having a DSLR and i was hoping if you people can comment on my photos and tell me the where i went wrong and what could i have done to get a good photo.

Would appreciate it, thanks.

CSC_0069 by MlHazim, on Flickr

CSC_0049 by MlHazim, on Flickr

CSC_0053 by MlHazim, on Flickr

Not bad keep shooting. I really like the third one

The first one looks like you used HDR, I suggest raising the ISO sensitivity. As for the second, It is a great photograph, nice DOF and composition. The third has amazing composition, but it looks like the bushes in front are too bright almost like you used a flash. The sky also looks kind of grainy, so I suggest lowering the ISO sensitivity and lengthening the shutter speed. All in all, just minor changes. Great work! Especially for a beginner!

The third is my favorite!i love the composition. You've gotten great advice for next time, but for now, maybe try to darken the blacks a little in Post.

They have Krispy Kreme in Dubai? Do they light the sign when the doughnuts are still hot?

The first one is nice enough, just not sure the subject is particularly interesting. Weird colors, though. Was this just after sundown? Light can be a bit dull then.
I like the second one, though not crazy about selective color.
The third one is quite nice, though I agree that the blacks aren't really black enough. Maybe bump the contrast a bit and crop off the bottom to get rid of those lit bushes that compete with the skyline.

Nice job for your first week with the DSLR!

Hello Hazim welcome to this forum and welcome to the world of photography.
First I want to tell you that you have a wonderful camera, with some learning you will be able to make very good use of this excelent tool.
Are you shooting in JPEG or RAW ?
If you shoot in RAW you will have much more control over the picture in post processing.

In first picture I would brighten the picture a bit more espeially the shadows and then add a bit of contrast, I think that would make the picture better.

In regards to second picture, yes I love you too LOL
I like how the red sign is "popping" out of the picture while the rest is gray and OOF, also glad you didnt went overboard in moking the red too dominant with saturation.

Third picture is very nice but personally I would like to see just a bit more contrast.

Altogether it looks like you are on a great start in your photography trek, good luck and keep posting pictures :)

The first one looks like you used HDR, I suggest raising the ISO sensitivity. As for the second, It is a great photograph, nice DOF and composition. The third has amazing composition, but it looks like the bushes in front are too bright almost like you used a flash. The sky also looks kind of grainy, so I suggest lowering the ISO sensitivity and lengthening the shutter speed. All in all, just minor changes. Great work! Especially for a beginner!

i did use HDR only to experience the results, i couldn't lower the shutter speed more as i didn't buy a tripod yet, i didn't want the image to be shaky. any advice on buying a tripod? and thanks alot for the tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For your first DSLR, those are incredible. Keep shooting! I agree with what has been said.

thank you, with the motivation you people give beginners here i'm sure we'll keep shooting and learning. thanks alot :D

The third is my favorite!i love the composition. You've gotten great advice for next time, but for now, maybe try to darken the blacks a little in Post.

thanks for the tip ^^

They have Krispy Kreme in Dubai? Do they light the sign when the doughnuts are still hot?

The first one is nice enough, just not sure the subject is particularly interesting. Weird colors, though. Was this just after sundown? Light can be a bit dull then.
I like the second one, though not crazy about selective color.
The third one is quite nice, though I agree that the blacks aren't really black enough. Maybe bump the contrast a bit and crop off the bottom to get rid of those lit bushes that compete with the skyline.

Nice job for your first week with the DSLR!

yes we do haha, we have it allover the country you'll see it everywhere. and nope i don't know what sign you're talkin' about so obviously they don't do that here.

the 1st picture is right after sundown exactly, i know the subject isn't that good, i'm just shooting as much as i can to practice. will be going to more interesting places to practice more and i'll be sharing the photos when i do.

thanks for the tips, i really appreciate it.

First I want to tell you that you have a wonderful camera, with some learning you will be able to make very good use of this excelent tool.
If you shoot in RAW you will have much more control over the picture in post processing.

In first picture I would brighten the picture a bit more espeially the shadows and then add a bit of contrast, I think that would make the picture better.

I like how the red sign is "popping" out of the picture while the rest is gray and OOF, also glad you didnt went overboard in moking the red too dominant with saturation.

Third picture is very nice but personally I would like to see just a bit more contrast.

Altogether it looks like you are on a great start in your photography trek, good luck and keep posting pictures :)

thanks, i'm really enjoying it here and gaining some good valuable information from around the forum. i'm shooting in JPEG FINE, i'm not so sure if i know how to use RAW on a computer, if you know a link or a thread that can teach me that skill i would really appreciate it.

hahaha yah i love ya! i took this photo specially for you :p :p!!!! looool glad u liked it, and thanks for the tips. will share more photos soon ^^

thanks, i'm really enjoying it here and gaining some good valuable information from around the forum. i'm shooting in JPEG FINE, i'm not so sure if i know how to use RAW on a computer, if you know a link or a thread that can teach me that skill i would really appreciate it.

hahaha yah i love ya! i took this photo specially for you :p :p!!!! looool glad u liked it, and thanks for the tips. will share more photos soon ^^

Shooting in JPEG is ok but I am many others find the flexibility of in editing RAW file is very helpful in getting the maximum out of your file.
If you will shoot in RAW you can use Faststone to process your files, its a free software and personally I like it a lot, play with it and slowly learn how to use it and enhance your RAW files.
Of course you can just buy Lightroom which is much more powerful but not only cost money but is also more complex to work with.

This is a rather old review of this editing software and this version is long obselete but the basic is still same

Good luck and if you need any help or have questions you are welcome to PM me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back