Compact Flash Card

To elaborate alittle more ive been shooting photography for 8 months and in 3 months i had 3 memory cards (kingston and transcend) corrupt on me!!

Do you erase or format?

In camera or while plugged into the comp?

after every shoot i insert my memory card into my computer unload. then put back in my camera and format after every use. but at the events i was doing those cards didnt stand up. one was at a concert. another at a charity event, and another at a sweet 16 party. very very messy situation luckly i was shooting with both my d90 and d700 so i still had my photos in my d700.

To elaborate alittle more ive been shooting photography for 8 months and in 3 months i had 3 memory cards (kingston and transcend) corrupt on me!!

Do you erase or format?

In camera or while plugged into the comp?

after every shoot i insert my memory card into my computer unload. then put back in my camera and format after every use. but at the events i was doing those cards didnt stand up. one was at a concert. another at a charity event, and another at a sweet 16 party. very very messy situation luckly i was shooting with both my d90 and d700 so i still had my photos in my d700.

Hi Everyone:D
I use a MacBook Pro and will be planning to take holiday photos with my 5D, traveling to Spain and Brazil. So question is, does anyone else use Macs and do you transfer the photos directly from your camera at the end of the day to a external HDD, to a photo program like iPhotos (or Aperture) which keeps the files on your computer's HDD, use a CF card reader to transfer to your external HDD or Computer's HDD or just carry heaps of CF cards. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Regards
Anthony

if your looking for compact flashes i suggest amazon.com or ebay. i bought several from both sites for half or even less then half the price of retail stores. but i suggest transend as a second choice. and sandisk as a first choice. especially the class 10 16gig extreme CF's. the write SUPER fast for all occasions. i hope this helped.

It's widely know that most name brand cards that are generally a lot cheaper than places like bhphotovideo.com or adorama.com are counterfeit.

if your looking for compact flashes i suggest amazon.com or ebay. i bought several from both sites for half or even less then half the price of retail stores. but i suggest transend as a second choice. and sandisk as a first choice. especially the class 10 16gig extreme CF's. the write SUPER fast for all occasions. i hope this helped.

Yes, Thanks! That helped alot. I found a CF card that was a 16gig and it was $36 on Amazon. I found a cheap no name brand 4gig for $10 on Ebay. At my local electronic store they have a 4gig CF card for $15 that was a Kingston, is that a good card? Whats the thing with the Duracell 16gig CF card for $76. Is it something that would last ages and save money by not having to get new CF cards that are cheaper?

Thanks!

The 20D should be able to fit over 600 RAW images on one 8GB CF card. 8 is the max I would get. If a card gets corrupted, and even the best cards can, you'll most likely lose your photos. The cheaper the card, the better the chance is that this will happen. If you have over 1,000 images on a single card and it dies on you, you're SOL unless you can find a way to recover them. Several smaller cards is a better option so that you don't have all of your photos(eggs) in(on) one card(basket). Not to mention, it would take forever to take all the photos off.

I have 3 8GB CFs as my primary cards and they cost over $300 for the set. Also, you don't need the fastest CF cards out there. Cameras only require a certain speed to fufill the requirements for being able to use the buffer to it's max potential. I have a Canon 5D MKII that requires UDMA compatible cards to be able to use the buffer to spec. Those cards would be overkill for your camera. Here's 4GB Sandisk CF cards for $20 ea. Get yourself 2 or three of these and you'll be set. $60 is not much in the grand scheme of things.

Also, buy yourself a card reader if you haven't. It's much faster than trying to remove the images from the card with is still in the camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back