Compatible Canon lenses

Rrr3319

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so right now I have a Rebel XT with a kit lens and a 50mm, I want to get some more lenses but I also want to upgrade to a better camera when I am financially able to. So I'm under the impression that lenses I buy that will fit my XT will work on most other Canons (like the 40D, 20D, etc) except the 5D because it's full frame. Am i right... or even anywhere close to right?
Thank you all in advance!

robin

You are correct....except that you can buy lenses that would work on a full frame as well as your camera.

All Canon EF lenses will work on all Canon EOS cameras. Full frame or crop. So if you plan on upgrading to a larger format EOS camera, stick to EF lenses.

Canon EF-S lenses, are made to only work on the crop bodies (Rebels & XXD etc). So if you don't plan on upgrading to full frame, you don't have to worry about it and EF-S lenses would be fine.

The same is true with off-brand lenses. Some are made for crop bodies only, and some are made for film/full frame and they will also work on your crop body. Each brand has it's own designations so be sure to know what you are buying.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back