Complete beginner question?

MAsato

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right section or not, I apologize if it isn't! Though I'm kind of rushing this, and trying to find anyone to answer my question. :(

I really want to get into photography, but the problem is I don't know cameras. I been shown a camera and I stumbled upon one as well, but I don't know what would be worth getting.
I want something that will be worth the money, and like a GOOD camera, something I can take to class or just shoot anywhere. Something that will last me a very long time, but I need to keep it under $800.

I found this, can anyone tell me if this would be a good choice? Also, is it possible to increase the zoom from 55m?
Canon EOS Rebel T3i Digital SLR Camera w/EF-S 18-55 Lens - 5169B003 - WolfCamera.com

And I've been shown this?
Amazon.com: Nikon COOLPIX P510 16.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 42x Zoom and "GPS" (Black) + EN-EL5 Battery + 9pc Bundle 16GB Deluxe Accessory Kit: Electronics

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Go to both Canon's & Nikon's website, and download the tech specs for all their 'bridge' cameras. Then go line-by-line through those specs. If you understand it, move on. If you don't, research it until you do.

Once you understand why a given feature is included on a camera, make a list of what you MUST have in a camera, and find the one that fills that list for the lowest price. That's the camera for you.

Honestly, I'm a complete dummy to all this, and I should research the stuff, which I know I need to do a lot of. Which this may all sound bad and making me look bad, but I'm mostly looking into if someone could recommend a camera or let me know of the ones I posted are any good? like if they, themselves would buy it?
Which comes back to the researching part, I don't know what I need on a camera. Sort of in a rush finding something, which I know I shouldn't... I should take my time on this, and research it all, find the one suitable for me. :/

The Rebel T3i is $180.00 more but it's a much better camera -- it's a whole lot more than $180.00 better. Yes you can add another lens to the Rebel later to extend the zoom range and yes that will be more money again but there's no comparison between these two cameras. If you want to consider a Nikon that competes with the Rebel T3i consider this camera: Amazon.com: Nikon D5100 16.2MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens: Camera & Photo

Joe

Thank you for that comment! :) Thank you both too.

I know I'm just 0% educated on cameras or photography, and I do wish to learn! I want to get into it, and I'm looking for a camera to start that. I'm going somewhere on the 17th and looking to bring a camera with, something that will do the job well.

Someone just showed me this as well
http://www.wolfcamera.com/product/541168979.htm

Comparing the Rebel T3i, what would you say about this?

And would you personally buy the Rebel T3i? or recommend it?

I find it impossible to suggest any given camera without knowing what you really want a camera to do. It's like buying cars.... you may need a 4-door sedan for the family, or want a sports car for picking up girls, or a pick-up since you're a contractor...........

A DSLR camera (Digital Single Lens Reflex) offers the highest amount of control... but this is like a tool that you have to learn to use before you can exploit it's potential. I could buy a Steinway piano... but if I can't play piano then having the better piano isn't really helping.

Even the entry level DSLR bodies are quite good these days. The advantages are that rather than being pinned to just one lens, the lens is removable. It'll usually come with a "kit" lens -- a general purpose lens good for regular shooting, but not necessairly good for challenging types of shots. Canon and Nikon probably have around 75 different lenses from which to choose (most people just own one or two... maybe three.) But this means you can "grow" the system over the years and, if at some point in the future, you decide you want an even better body than the one you started with, your lenses will generally still all work with the newer body (as long as you stay with the brand... e.g. upgrade a Canon for a newer/better Canon or upgrade a Nikon for a newer/better Nikon.)

With a point & shoot, advanced point & shoot, or bridge camera, the lens isn't removable. Whatever the camera can do on the day you buy it is all it will ever do... it cannot be upgraded. It can only be replaced.

While every camera has a fully automatic mode so you can take photos without having to know anything, the photos wont start to get really good (unless it's by luck) until you learn to control the camera... that means taking it off of the fully-automatic mode. To do that you'd need to learn the basics of exposure (there are great books for this) and since operating a camera is just one part of photography, it's also a good idea to learn about composition and design (and there are books for this as well.) Invest the time to learn and your efforts will be rewarded with very pleasing results.

I would probably avoid the EOS M. It's a mirror-less interchangeable lens camera (MILC) with a sensor which is the SAME size as the T3i, but it's more compact because it has no reflex mirror and you don't actually look through the lens (you operate it more like a point & shoot and use the viewfinder). It also has an optical finder which does not look through the lens.

HOWEVER... it's fairly limited on controls and works more like a point & shoot. The T3i is a much better camera.

I find it impossible to suggest any given camera without knowing what you really want a camera to do. It's like buying cars.... you may need a 4-door sedan for the family, or want a sports car for picking up girls, or a pick-up since you're a contractor...........

That's true, and understandable! :)

but this is like a tool that you have to learn to use before you can exploit it's potential. I could buy a Steinway piano... but if I can't play piano then having the better piano isn't really helping.

and also very true! :)

And thank you all, TCampbell, 480sparky, and Ysarex.
I thank you for all replying, I think I might go with the Rebel T3i for right now, and hopefully learn to understand everything and to learn much! Though for now, I'll choose this one until I find out whether or not it's what I need.Which may sound bad, but if it is.. I'll have to learn from my mistake. :)

Thank you all for taking the time to reply and helping me out. :)

Hi MAsato - Wolf is a great camera store, but you can save a little money at Amazon or BigValue via eBay (and BigValue throws in a memory card).

Wherever you buy your camera, you should also invest in a book or two on photography such as Canon EOS Rebel T3i/600D: From Snapshots to Great Shots, Understanding Exposure, and/or BetterPhoto Basics.

Hope this is helpful, and welcome to the world of digital photography (and videography - the T3i is a competent video camera too :)).

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you have $800, get the rebel T3i, or nikon DSLR equivalent.

It may be difficult to use at first, and it won't automatically make you a better photographer. You will suck for awhile and not have any idea how to get the most out of it.

HOWEVER, it is something that can last you for years and years and years. You may want to upgrade later, but with a T3i, you won't ever HAVE to upgrade, honestly. You could have an effective professional photography career with only a T3i. So when you DO get better, the functionality of the T3i will be there, waiting for you to take full advantage of it. Whereas if you choose a point and shoot with a non-detachable lens, or a weird "bridge" camera, you will grow out of it and have to upgrade to a real DSLR later if you continue with the hobby. AND while you're learning, if you do need to get a photograph of something decently and don't want to fiddle with the controls, you can always set the T3i to "auto" mode and have it decide things for you. This will perform no worse than a cheaper point and shoot would be, and no more difficult.

So in short: a DSLR can act like it is a point and shoot in every way (except size), but a point and shoot cannot act like it is a DSLR in every way. So a DSLR is hands down the right choice if you want to seriously "get into photography" and have an $800 budget.

Also, if you do go the Canon DSLR route, I suggest you buy a 50mm, f/1.8 prime lens at the same time as you buy your camera. It's only $100 or so, and it will allow you to start out right from the beginning with a better understanding of the differences that different lenses make, the advantage of a prime (fixed focal length) lens (sharpness and wider apertures for the money), etc. It's also just one of Canon's absolute best value for money lenses that they sell, and you will use it for a long time.

Most reactions

Back