Completely new and don't know where to start

The XT is a very nice camera, very good for a beginner. I've got one and I am quite happy with it.

I have the XT and the XTi. If that is the only difference in price, I would go with the XTi. What made me break down and get the newer model was not the megapixel increase but (as silly as it sounds) the change in the screen/menu system. Most of my photos are outdoors and seeing the settings on new screen is much easier, to me. The megapixels might be of use to you if you took pics from a distance and wanted to crop/zoom on a tighter area.

sorry I'm back.

Money has become an issue and I was wondering if there were any other choices. I want a camera that can give me a crystal clear image. I want my pictures to be as detailed as possible so that when I look at the picture, I can feel like I am there.

Is there a camera that is cheaper than the xt/xti that can do this even if it is a point and shoot?

I have an S3 I am reluctant to get rid of it even though I now have the XT.
It is small and much lighter, it has a ton of cool features it takes immaculate shots the only thing you will have an issue with is shallow depth of field if your subject isn't right on top of you.. (As far as a beginners needs)
I would say if you want something you can put in a small camera bag and forget about until you need it go with the S5 (I am assuming it is the same size as the S3).
Also I am assuming the S5 takes AA batteries although I did read it consumes batteries much faster than the S3, but the XT takes a lithium type battery that doesn't last very long.
JMO

Just read your update try and get your hands on an S3 I have read reviews on the S5 I think the S3 is better for a few reasons.

I have a Rebel XT and completely love it. You can get one on eBay for around $400 used. The XTi is the same sensor with higher megapixels and some say the quality of pictures is not any better... but i don't know if that's a fact or not.

---------- Quoted from Megapixel.net -----------

The XTi's auto focus system, for example, is different from the XT, and is imported from the EOS 30D. This is an auto focus system with 9 AF areas, and is a valuable addition to an entry-level SLR, since this is a system that is fast and precise.

The buffer memory of the XTi is also improved over the XT, and the XTi is capable of longer bursts, double that of the XT, be it with RAW or JPEG images.

The Canon Digital Rebel XTi, although it resembles the XT, is in fact a distinct model. Its 10-megapixel CMOS sensor gives it a slight advantage in terms of resolution, but it is really the AF, the buffer memory, the Picture Styles, and the dust reduction system that position it ahead of the XT. Although the lens it is currently sold with in kit form does not do the camera justice, quite unlike when it is paired with any of Canon finer lenses.

------------------------------------------------------ End Quote

Most reactions

Back