Composition. In which way is it better to cut this?

shoshannah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Which cut do you think is better and why?

(1) http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/1399/zuziaizosia.png

(2) http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/5848/zuziaizosia2.png

Uncut version: http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/4358/zuziaizosiauncut.jpg

My goals were:

a) to make the baby the principal point of the picture OR to give the two characters equal importance, depending on which works better;
b) to make the background less distractive; remove the table on the left and the legs on the right, at least partially (e.g. cutting the latter to make the thigh appear like a more neutral and less distractive object, like a fragment of the sofa).

I have never studied composition, and I mostly based my cuts on intuition. Here's what I was thinking when making each:

(1) - priviliges neither the woman nor the baby; both have a similar amount of space in the picture, albeit in two distinct dimensions (horizontal and vertical)?
(2) - less unnecessary distractive background, perhaps? Makes the image more compact (although in this case I would actually - if it was possible - allow for more space downwards OR cut the top to make it more proportional; however, there is the leg that is somewhat distractive and - I think - has a negative influence on the balance in the picture. I wouldn't cut the top, either; I want the woman's hair there).

Or would you do it in a yet another way? I also include an uncut version so you can speak your mind. I would be extremely grateful for help. Retaking this picture is not really an option, but I want to improve it.

Last edited:
1 and 2 cuts are about the same to me.

No. They differ in the amount cut on the right, and this has been troubling me since yesterday. The one that has more space on the right also has more unnecessary background, but - on the other hand - the characters form a nice proportional even-armed shape, which isn't the case in the one that has less. Or does it not matter and I am simply obsessed? Still, a comment on whether I did it properly would be much appreciated.

#1 for me. In number #2, it's cutting off the edge of the blanket, and the top of that sweet little head is too close to the edge. I like the way you see how the banker is cradling the babies head in #1.

No. They differ in the amount cut on the right, and this has been troubling me since yesterday. The one that has more space on the right also has more unnecessary background, but - on the other hand - the characters form a nice proportional even-armed shape, which isn't the case in the one that has less. Or does it not matter and I am simply obsessed? Still, a comment on whether I did it properly would be much appreciated.

The differences are so small that it is not noticable. Instead of obsessing over such trivial details, can you simply re-shoot this?

If so, may I suggest a different background, and perhaps some additional lighting?

On my screen it looks as if the mother is the focus as the baby is OOF.

Or is it just me?

Most reactions

Back