First time posting for C&C. Some Photos i took over the weekend.

irishguy0224

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First time posting on this forum for CC. Here are some pictures i took yesterday during a cook out with my car "family" thoughts and CC are always welcome! Thank you!

two of my buddies daughter
tumblr_m79i50X8Ir1rub6ryo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m79jybPgDg1rub6ryo1_1280.jpg

one of my car
tumblr_m79ibtrtdv1rub6ryo1_1280.jpg

and one of his car (i know i cut off part of his bumper :( )
tumblr_m79iiilhRM1rub6ryo1_1280.jpg

The first has a cute expression, but her face is underexposed. It appears her back was to the sun, in which case you could use a reflector to bounce back some nice, soft fill light. Same with number two.

The car shots need some work; the backgrounds are distracting and I can see your reflection in the first.

Ya, i just noticed you could see me the in first car picture. They were just quick snaps while i was out in the yard and the light seemed decent. Thanks for the CC of the kid! I was just shooting after we ate and see was in a good mood LOL

Also forgot to add, shooting with my old rebel xti and 50mm 1.8 for those pics.

Like the first one, but she is underexposed. You could save it with a bit of editing! Give it a go and repost :)

What a sweet little girl! Nice compositions in both baby photos. For #1, I tried to compensate for the underexposed face and cropped out some of the top in PS.

$tumblr_m79i50X8Ir1rub6ryo1_1280.jpg

that looks so good! thank you so much! I went in and did some work as well and here is what i was able to come up with. I am still quite new at portrait shots of people, so my editing technique i'm sure needs quite a bit of work.

Okay #1 edit 1
tumblr_m7d7m81sF51rub6ryo1_1280.jpg

#1 edit 2 (just cropped out dead space)
tumblr_m7d7zs6vBe1rub6ryo1_1280.jpg

#2 edit 2 (i feel this may be a bit over exposed now, thoughts welcome)
tumblr_m7d7ocWCqq1rub6ryo1_1280.jpg

and a new one i hadn't posted before.
tumblr_m7d7qdZCBJ1rub6ryo1_1280.jpg

A couple of thoughts on #s 1 & 2. The subject is grossly under-exposed in both, primarily as a result of your camera's meter being "fooled" by bright back-lighting. The other is is focus; the child's face is soft due primarily I think to missed focus and a large aperture. Remember, because your lens opens to f1.8 does NOT mean you ahve to shoot it at f1.8. I'm guessing your DoF here was probably in the order of 6" or so.

To start, re-read your camera's manual, especially the section on metering modes. Also go here and read the excellent tutorial on how a camera's light meter actually works.

For work like this I like to use a single cofusing point and place it over the subject's eye, and then select an aperture which will provide sufficient DoF to ensure sharp focus over the whole face. Go here for more information on determining DoF.

A couple of thoughts on #s 1 & 2. The subject is grossly under-exposed in both, primarily as a result of your camera's meter being "fooled" by bright back-lighting. The other is is focus; the child's face is soft due primarily I think to missed focus and a large aperture. Remember, because your lens opens to f1.8 does NOT mean you ahve to shoot it at f1.8. I'm guessing your DoF here was probably in the order of 6" or so.

To start, re-read your camera's manual, especially the section on metering modes. Also go here and read the excellent tutorial on how a camera's light meter actually works.

For work like this I like to use a single cofusing point and place it over the subject's eye, and then select an aperture which will provide sufficient DoF to ensure sharp focus over the whole face. Go here for more information on determining DoF.

Thank you for the CC, i will give that a shot this week.

I played around. I increased the exposure, up'ed the green saturation and increased the orange luminance, then brighten'ed the eyes.

tumblr_m79i50X8Ir1rub6ryo1_1280.jpg

She is a beauty! upon review...your 1st edit is very similar! :)

Yes thank you! I really appreciate all the CC and even the kind words! I really enjoy shooting kids. Just something about it and capturing their innocence is wonderful. I have a lot more to work on, but it's getting there i think.

Most reactions

Back