Composition technique: pattern

At the moment I'm trying to figure out what these 'distracting elements' are.
A couple of thoughts: I would burn in (darken) the very bright areas on the cobblestones as they pull the eye away from the main part of the image.
I refer to the bright spots of sunlight on the deck that overpower the more delicate parts of the composition. tirediron suggested to darken them, I chose to crop them instead. If you have doubts about your composition, start looking for the important parts, and see if a crop will help.

At the moment I'm trying to figure out what these 'distracting elements' are.
A couple of thoughts: I would burn in (darken) the very bright areas on the cobblestones as they pull the eye away from the main part of the image.
I refer to the bright spots of sunlight on the deck that overpower the more delicate parts of the composition. tirediron suggested to darken them, I chose to crop them instead. If you have doubts about your composition, start looking for the important parts, and see if a crop will help.

Thanks. Your help was really useful. :)

I know I'm late to this but here are a couple of comments about the first.
Viewers try to sort out the contents of a picture to understand what's important and they use the hints you give them with brightness and placement.

(Note that the columns aren't vertical - and they should be. That is a distraction, as much as very bright spots.)

That arch at the end which repeats the arches all down the left would be a natural harmonizing element and an important element in your shot - but it was at the very edge and that seems to mean it isn't important.
I would have framed this a bit differently.

upload_2016-3-14_8-50-6.png

Most reactions

Back