Composition to look like film.

RMThompson

the TPF moderators rock my world!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys. Doing a few photoshoots today and tomorrow with some models, and one thing I'd like to do is use an aspect ratio to make the pictures look less like photographs and more like still frames in a movie.

Here is one of my original ideas for this concept:

1973601823_449ae0f74f.jpg

But the aspect ratio just isn't right.

So any tips on getting things to look more like they are stilles from a movie?

Ryan

I don't know about actual film sizes/ratios but TV's are usually 4:3 or 16:9, i know the cinemas have other widescreen formats.

the size you have there is 500x399, 500x375 would be 4:3.. i think to show your point a little bit easier it may be worthwhile trying a wider format (16:9) or so..

I think a close crop with a little cheesy black bar action does the trick:

1973601823_449ae0f74f917.jpg

True 16:9 would look better, but for this shot it doesn't work. I say shoot wider, crop close at 16:9, add cheesy black bars.

Ya, I was going to say that, add the black to top and bottom...

It still depends on the format. If you're after cinematic effect then you need to go wider still. I believe cinema is 2.39:1

It still depends on the format. If you're after cinematic effect then you need to go wider still. I believe cinema is 2.39:1
It varies... I checked a few of my DVDs. Just in my collection I found 1.85:1, 1.78:1, 2.35:1, and 2.4:1.

edit
I think 1.85:1 is the "standard" in the US though.

That's for the DVD production. I believe the original cinema has always been 2.39:1. Which confuses the heck out of some wide screen TV buyers who realise that they STILL have black bars at the top and bottom.

1.78:1 is 16:9, the standard for HD broadcasts in Australia.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back