Composition

pfft the same sorts that don't study composition generally don't study exposure or other areas either - least that is my observation. Those that study do tend to focus in one area, either compostion or exposure/technical and of the two I would say that many people choose the technical side over the compositional side.
I've taken pictures with some degree of seriousness only for the last couple of years. During the first year I focused on developing my technical skills; the improvement in the quality of my photos was just marginal, which got me frustrated to the point of almost selling all my gear and looking for a different creative outlet. During the second year I put the technical stuff aside and focused on expanding my compositional skills instead; not only did my photography improve by leaps and bounds this time, but developing my comp skills also helped me find some sort of stylistic niche.

As a result of the above, the second half of 2008 brought me an award, a dozen photos published, people interested in buying some of my work, chicks, an invitation to join three painters in a gallery show, six images nominated for photo of the month here on TPF ;), hits on my website skyrocketed, and more.

I'm still technically lacking, big time, yet composition made my photography suddenly matter to others. That's how important composition is.

Yup, your 2008 pics are AWESOME !! And comparing to your other pics, which aren't half bad either, it's like a different person took them. totally artistics in nature as opposed to simply documentary in nature.

What did you do to learn composition so well ?

I don't really think any one part is more important than the other. A good image has everything done correctly! Light, composition, focus, exposure etc

I agree. Great composition + mediocre light = mediocre photo. That's why successful landscape photographers find the composition, and then wait patiently for the good light (or return when they think it'll be there). It's all got to come together.

Key word in that sentence is "done correctly" How do you mean done correctly? Personally "done correctly" is a matter of what your are trying to say with your work. Focused well lit photos are over rated. That is why composition will always be key.

"done correctly" should probably be read done the way the photographer intendeded. But most people just look and click and expect great images.

In a single image there may be many "correct exposures" but only one proper one :)

I still think that all parts of the image merge to create the final output. Composition is only a part of that.

Most reactions

Back