What's new

Composition

Joined
Aug 9, 2013
Messages
463
Reaction score
358
Location
New Zealand
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A photo i took is this not composition ? im asking because i keep getting comments that are saying i don't know what composition is and i need to learn it so this is a photo i took that shows composition.

$DSC_3738.webp
 
Well, I think when people comment on a failed composition, what they are generally saying is "there are elements in the shot that might be interesting to me, but the way you have them laid out leaves me feeling flat".

In the case of the image you have just displayed here, and based upon that criteria, I would call this a failed composition.

You did line up the shot in the same manner I would have done IF I was trying to just get a picture of the scene before me- and that's with years of experience in composition and studying it. I would, however, have known even before I took the shot that it was uninteresting- a snapshot- and tossed it either immediately or just after I got it off my camera.
 
Its balanced...

I think most of the comments are around the particular shots you have presented for critique are not well composed, not that you don't always know how to take a shot. Most of the comments I have read are that if you take the technical part of each photo you have taken good shots.

They are just not that interesting.

As an example can you explain why you find this particular shot interesting? What is it about it that you think us a viewers of the photo should take from it. Take away your own emotion from what you felt when you took it (as we were not there with you).
 
Its balanced...

I think most of the comments are around the particular shots you have presented for critique are not well composed, not that you don't always know how to take a shot. Most of the comments I have read are that if you take the technical part of each photo you have taken good shots.

They are just not that interesting.

As an example can you explain why you find this particular shot interesting? What is it about it that you think us a viewers of the photo should take from it. Take away your own emotion from what you felt when you took it (as we were not there with you).


I don't find this image interesting at all and was not even going to post it but it does show i know what composition is.
 
Ahh I think this is where you may be misinterpreting everyone's comments. Composition is subjective, not specifically technical. Technically your photo is well balanced but the composition of the photo makes its bland and boring.

I would suggest trying to a take some photos that tell a story of what you are seeing which can be conveyed to others through the picture.
 
^ that. +1.
 
Ahh I think this is where you may be misinterpreting everyone's comments. Composition is subjective, not specifically technical. Technically your photo is well balanced but the composition of the photo makes its bland and boring.

I would suggest trying to a take some photos that tell a story of what you are seeing which can be conveyed to others through the picture.

Thanks Daniel thats something im working hard on but does not come ez to me. what do you think of this shot its one i did today


$DSC_4121_1.webp
 
Much better, your best shot you have post in my opinion.

Maybe next time with a shot like this try a faster shutter speed (to freeze the water droplets) or a slower speed (to get a candy floss effect on the water). Definitely the best composed one you have posted! Especially due to the 260mm focal length you too the shot at!
 
That's the best shot I've seen from you. go post that in its own thread. People need to see that.
 
Much better, your best shot you have post in my opinion.

Maybe next time with a shot like this try a faster shutter speed (to freeze the water droplets) or a slower speed (to get a candy floss effect on the water). Definitely the best composed one you have posted! Especially due to the 260mm focal length you too the shot at!

yeah i did some slower speeds but the guy was not there at the time and im not happy with them lol


$DSC_4101.webp
 
Did you use a tripod for the last waterfall shot?

It looks blurred.
 
it is blurred thats why im not happy with it i didn't have my tripod on me so had the camera on a rock but just couldn't get the shot right
 
Your shot of the guy under the waterfall is definitely your best, but you have to know why this works while other don't.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom