Computer memory vs NX2

tom beard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am a disaster on a computer; don't even know the language. I tried GIMP and it was very confusing. Considering this, I'm interested in Capture NX-2 because it seems to be more user friendly, but the TPF threads say it's a memory hog. I have an Acer Aspire 1360 (which is out of production but only about five years old), and don't know how much memory I have. When I defragmented it said:

Capacity Free Space % Free Space

C: 26.87 gb 13.23 gb 49%

D: 27.04 gb 26.81 gb 99%

I Think these are two drives, and am using only Drive C:. Are C: & D: two different drives? Could I use Drive D: to install NX2? Does the above tell you anything? If you could 'Splaine' this to me, I would be very grateful. Otherwise I guess I could find a six year old kid. They are sure to know more than I do.

Thanks, Tom Beard

Memory would refer to the RAM. The figures you listed above are hard drive space. I'm assuming you're running Windows XP?

Edit: If so, right click on "My Computer" and select Properties. On the bottom you'll see "Computer:" and it will list things out like what processor you have, what speed it runs at, and then a number that will probably be X.XXGB of RAM. That's how much 'memory' your computer has.

adding on to what goontz has already said...according to what you have stated, then yes...in the easiest possible description c: and d: are separate drives. i usually make a separate drive to install my graphics applications too and they work just fine.

so the short answer to your question is yes. while installing capture nx it should ask you for where to install, and default to something like c:\program files\capture nx2 (or whatever) with a browse button next to it. by clicking that browse button you can point it to your d: drive, and a folder inside of that.

Kevin, I am running XP Professional. On "My Computer" it said: Processor 3,000+, 1.80 GHz,448MB of RAM, Virtual memory total paging file size for all drives--1024MB. Nothing about Speed. I don't know what NX-2 eats up in memory (can't seem to find it). Does this computer have enough memory to support NX-2?
Thanks,, Tom B

the speed is the 1.80 GHz part. 448mb of ram will not be enough per their site:

768 MB minimum (1 GB recommended)

That means you have 512MB (.5GB) of RAM (it tells you 488 because of inaccurate conversions that it uses - technical stuff I know you don't care about). According to Nikon's site (Capture NX 2 from Nikon), the minimum for NX-2 is 768MB and they recommend at least 1GB.

No, your computer doesn't have enough memory to run it. It might still run it successfully, but it would be very slow if it did and I don't think you'd want to spend the money on the program just to find out.

For what it's worth, you could pick up a single stick of 1GB memory for that computer for probably around $40-$50, or simply add another 512MB stick for roughly half that. Plus, I'm assuming, paying someone to install it - geek squad or whatever.

Thanks Guys, Could I get an outboard or plug in Hard Drive with 1 GB of memory and load NX-2 into it and use my present computer as a 'Controller"? If so, are they expensive? Until I resolve this, I'm going to hold off.

Tom B.

Thanks Guys, Could I get an outboard or plug in Hard Drive with 1 GB of memory and load NX-2 into it and use my present computer as a 'Controller"? If so, are they expensive? Until I resolve this, I'm going to hold off.

Tom B.
No. You have enough space to install the program on your hard drive, but memory is different. You'd have to add to or replace the memory that's in it.

Yeah that's not going to be enough to adequately run it. The bad news is that it's not enough to adequately run just about any modern graphics program.

The good news is that RAM (random access memory) is about the cheapest and easiest upgrade you could possibly need to do. Your processor speed is fine and you should have plenty of harddrive space.

Amazon.com: Kingston Technologies 1GB PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM Notebook Memory: Electronics

Your notebook will handle up to 2GB of RAM. That is a 1GB stick and at that price I'd suggest just buying two of them and reaching the maximum supported memory your computer can handle. You'll notice a massive speed increase on boot, on loading programs, running multiple applications, etc.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This isn't the right kind of RAM for your computer and wouldn't work or even fit in it.

It might be worth it to bring it to your local computer shop (or even Best Buy's geek squad or something similar) and ask them how much they would charge for new RAM and installation. You will need 200-pin DDR333 (PC2700). That's basically the speed of the RAM and is the fastest that is compatible with your laptop. I would recommend either adding another 512MB, or replacing the 512MB that's currently in there with a 1024MB (1GB). Your computer will accept up to 2GB if you wanted to spend the money on it. Hope this helps, feel free to write it down and take it with you to the computer shop hehe. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Or ask one of the IT guys at work for help. I hate when people do that, but I'm happy to tell people to do it to other IT guys ;D

Most reactions

Back