Computer Monitors...

e.rose

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.emilymcgonigle.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So while I wait for some sort of calibration to happen to my monitor within the next 2 weeks or so, I was actually considering the fact that I might just need a new monitor. It's not what it used to be... it's old. :lol:

So I'm casually looking online because of course with the statement that my monitor is old, my husband wants to know how much a new one is going to cost.

But I want something that's going to work well for photo editing purposes (duh), but unfortunately I need something inexpensive as well. So what are things I should be looking for and/or avoiding? I know there's a specific kind of screen that doesn't change contrast and color too much depending on how you look at it, but I don't remember what that's called.

Thanks for any help you can provide in advance. :sillysmi:

Yeah, viewing angle is important.

Yeah, but I don't remember what the kind of screens are called where the image doesn't change all that much with the viewing angle? And my Googling skills are apparently less than adequate right now. :lol:

I use a Sanyo 26 inch wide screen tv that has a monitor connection, and the colors are true to life, IMHO. I also use a dell 19 inch to extend my desktop and have quick access to other things, but the dell tends to have too much dark contrast and the colors are not spot on.

Oh, the Sanyo was a little over 400.00 at walmart. If your wondering about price.

Unfortunately, with quality comes a higher price. A cheap monitor will get you just that. If you are going to cheap out, you might as well not even get a new one... what would be the point? If you're looking for a quality and accurate monitor, I highly recommend EIZO. Before you look them up, just prepare yourself for some sticker shock.

EDIT: http://cgi.ebay.com/Eizo-FlexScan-S...r_Monitors&hash=item2c5a93a44f#ht_2256wt_1075

You never really know what you're going to get with something electronic that has been used, but that monitor, which is one of their cheaper ones, runs around $500 new. At ~$120 used shipped, it might be worth the risk of buying used.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
What you're looking for is the type of panel in the screen. They typically fall into 3 categories:

TN Film - Cheap, nasty, but thin and also have great refreshrates, really crap viewing angles, 6bit colour. 99% of the screens our there are these, and they suck for photography
PVA - Kind of a middle ground. Much better viewing angles, 8bit colour, still not perfect, suffers from "black crush" which is inability to display dark colours when viewed perfectly head on, but this can be calibrated around at the expense of contrast ratio.
IPS - This is what you want. perfect viewing angles, perfect colour, perfect everything. Just they have a slower response rate so not so good for viewing movies, and they are typically thick.

Dell have the cheapest IPS panels on the market. Do a search of this forum for Dell and you'll come up with a few desirable model numbers.

one of my desktop monitors is the IPS panel 27" widescreen, the other one I do not know which type it is but it is the step below the "ultra sharp" which are the IPS it is a 22" and it was like $200 I have been pretty happy with it. The 27" was like $1000 I do a lot of autocad work and the big ultra sharp monitor makes work much more efficient.

A good calibrator is key. The BEST color you can get would probably be from a Lacie CRT. For things that REALLY matter down to the smallest color at our digital labs we use CRT. Even cheaper high quality CRT's once calibrated give better color than the best flat screens. That being said, there are some very fine LCD's out there, but the ones good enough for our uses are pretty expensive. We do have a couple, but most our color guys still prefer the CRTs for when the job matters.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

take-a-bow.gif

FYI, the EIZO is probably the best out there at this time hence the $5,000 + price tag.

And like we have discussed before, the solid sound of a well made switchblade snapping open in the hand of a Puerto Rican woman will definitely get his attention. :lol:

eh $5k on a monitor? geez I thought my wife sh*t when I spend $1k on one! I guess if it is a tool to do your job get out the $$

Eizo also makes/made some less expensive CRT's you can probably find on a one year old used market/back stock that again, are larger, but have better color than even their best lcd's and are good at pretty much any angle. I mean if you're honestly looking for a "price/performance ratio" then that's the way to go. But if you want "relatively" dainty and less archaic looking, well, it costs.

Index Buy NEW LACIE LACIE ELECTRON IV 19IN BLUE DI New Open Box LACIE (105517) at tamayatech 210-568-9105 if they actually still have that $400 Lacie in stock, it's just like the ones my company uses for when it really matters.

Most reactions

Back