Computer Needs Updating

rickabobaloey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I really do need to upgrade laptop. It's over 6 years old now and is starting to slow down big time. I have decided to go with a desktop though, and I'm looking for advice.

I've always used PCs. Ever since I can remember. Would it be feasible to switch to an iMac? I know that's like asking Canon or Nikon, Ford or Chevy, Coke or Pepsi, but I've heard that the people who do use iMac computers really love them.

A couple downsides would be the price, and learning a new operating system. Also are they as easy as PCs to upgrade (whole reason I'm going with a desktop computer as my laptop is not upgradeable)?

I'm a PC user, because I like the customisation available, it's also what I grew up around. However, I've noticed recently that unless you are upgrading regularly, the chipsets, etc. will have moved on so far, none of the new stuff will work with what you have (my current dilemma). So if you plan on keeping this one for six years also, it will be another new purchase rather than an upgrade next time.
Macs are somewhat more limited in what you can upgrade, the move to intel processors though, means you can install Windows on a Mac now.

Decide how much you are willing to spend and then look at possible options from Apple, Dell, HP, etc. All are of usable quality, the difference comes when you start building your own, which can be cheaper or at least better value for money on components.

Not sure if there is an answer in there for you, but hopefully it stirs some thoughts.

I have always been a PC user. I used a MAC Computer last year in a computer class and was very impressed with the computer but I will stick with a PC due to the price.

I recently bought a very basic PC with onboard graphics and sound ( but with the best processor I could afford ) quite cheaply - bought extra ram and a new graphics card (both easy to install) and for half the price of what it would have cost in a store - I now have a super fast computer which will probably not need upgrading for quite a while. I am careful not to rev up a laptop because they tend to overheat if the processor size does not like the extra ram. I also have a mac and the operating system is very user friendly - if you found your way around Photoshop it should be a breeze. I chose the PC option because I would hate to loose my laptop with all my pictures and also because Macs are so expensive (not meaning overpriced!) and I could not afford the new macbook pro or the desktop.

So I really do need to upgrade laptop. It's over 6 years old now and is starting to slow down big time. I have decided to go with a desktop though, and I'm looking for advice.

If you want to buy new only because your laptop is slowing down why not do a refresh or clean up your system?

Try CCleaner, it's free and works great.

If you want new for better technology there are so many options these days. The new i7 quad core systems look very enticing. Laptops these days can be as powerful as a desktop. I have a desktop and I never use it ;)

Thanks everyone.

I'm trying CCleaner right now, see if that will help a bit.

As far as why am I ready to upgrade and the answer is because of the better technology. I recently bought Photoshop Elements 9, which my computer can run but it runs very slowly. Which makes it a pain right now to use, especially when I'm dealing with a lot of photos.

I like a laptop for their portability and such. Definately getting a macbook pro when i graduate highschool. I used my friends and its awesome.

Regards,
Jake

Answer: Canon, Ford, Coke, PC.

Don't get a MAC, i made the mistake a while back and i regret spending the money. For that same amount you will spend on a MAC you can build yourself a one BAD A** PC. Im in school for this and have been building computers longer than i remember, if you give me your budget i can build you one on newegg and it blow away any MAC out there. If you need help let me know i can build you one within an hour on newegg with your budget. If you don't like it dont buy it if you do like it and i can promise that you will you can order the parts and trust me its straightforward building it.

I'm a PC user, because I like the customisation available [...]
If you want customization, Linux is hard to beat.

That's what I use (Ubuntu, 10.10). I haven't really had any issues... I've only had to actually pay for one piece of software (printing program - my printer wasn't supported, and I didn't want to buy a new one).

It's perfect for me. The fact that almost everything I could need is free makes it even better.

Oh I'm a long term dabbler in Linux, currently trying out Fedora on my pc. Ubuntu has been my favourite to date though, you have reminded me to give it a revisit since I think it was v9 was last I tried.

Apologies to rickabobaloey for the brief off topic bit :)

I like a laptop for their portability and such. Definately getting a macbook pro when i graduate highschool. I used my friends and its awesome.

Regards,
Jake

The portability issue is definitely something that gives laptops an edge. However, I really don't want to have my laptop everywhere I go. I don't need it for business, and if I need to look something up quickly online I can use my Blackberry.

Answer: Canon, Ford, Coke, PC.

Haha. Nice answer. :thumbup:

Don't get a MAC, i made the mistake a while back and i regret spending the money. For that same amount you will spend on a MAC you can build yourself a one BAD A** PC. Im in school for this and have been building computers longer than i remember, if you give me your budget i can build you one on newegg and it blow away any MAC out there. If you need help let me know i can build you one within an hour on newegg with your budget. If you don't like it dont buy it if you do like it and i can promise that you will you can order the parts and trust me its straightforward building it.

I may take you up on that offer. I was thinking of building my own a while ago but the more I started looking at Macs the more I started considering them. Only problem is I don't know enough about the engineering of a computer and what all I'd need to put together my own. I'll send you a PM with my budget. :thumbup:

I'm a PC user, because I like the customisation available [...]

That's what I use (Ubuntu, 10.10). I haven't really had any issues... I've only had to actually pay for one piece of software (printing program - my printer wasn't supported, and I didn't want to buy a new one).

It's perfect for me. The fact that almost everything I could need is free makes it even better.

A friend of mine had used Linux a long time ago. Or was it Unix? I'm not sure. He was using it for programming.

Oh I'm a long term dabbler in Linux, currently trying out Fedora on my pc. Ubuntu has been my favourite to date though, you have reminded me to give it a revisit since I think it was v9 was last I tried.

Apologies to rickabobaloey for the brief off topic bit :)

No problem. It's easy to get off topic. Plus it's computer related so it isn't that far off topic.

A friend of mine had used Linux a long time ago. Or was it Unix? I'm not sure. He was using it for programming.
Could be either. Linux is based on Unix, but with better GUI.

Linux is pretty much right in the middle to me. If you're used to Windows, you can make it look just like that. You can make it look like a Mac OS too. Or, you can be somewhere between (that's where I am).

The only issue is software compatibility. Sadly, the Linux offerings are kinda slim. But, what is there works and is usually free.

Most reactions

Back