Computer will not see cameras

SteveL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I realize this is a Photography forum and not computer forum but I'll start here, hope it's OK.

My PC running Win 7 will not reconize either of my cameras (Nikon D7000 & p7000).
As far as I am aware there are no seprate drivers to install and I have the newest
version of NX2 installed.

Any ideas what the issue might be?

Thanks,

P.S. other USB devices, external hard drive, card reader and so on seem to work just fine.

Try a different cord. If you're running it through a USB hub, that may be it as well.

Or if you've got a card reader use that instead, much quicker transfer than through a cord.

Are you using usb connection direct to camera or to card reader.

It's been a long time but I remember having to change the characteristics in the camera to 'mass storage' on my D200.

I no longer have any Nikon manuals so I can't look that up but found this online:

"Is the Camera in Mass Storage Mode?
While PTP mode can be used if your camera and operating system (Mac OS X and Windows XP) supports it, for troubleshooting it may be useful to switch to MSC USB mode using the camera's setup menus."

or

"
Like a previous poster stated, the problem is having the camera set to Mass Storage USB mode instead of PTP mode.Just go to the Setup Menu, select USB, and chose PTP.
As long as you're using the Nikon View software to offload your pictures, you can leave it in PTP mode. If you want to use Windows Explorer to browse the card in the camera, you'll need to change it back to Mass Storage mode when you're done.
-John"

So some where in there lies your problem.

I would use a card reader in any case for several reasons.

Are you using usb connection direct to camera or to card reader.
Directly to the PC via a USB cable and I have tried other cables.

"Is the Camera in Mass Storage Mode?I don't know that there is more than one mode on my camera and if there is it doesn't seem to be the problem as it works OK on my other PC.
While PTP mode can be used if your camera and operating system (Mac OS X and Windows XP) supports it, for troubleshooting it may be useful to switch to MSC USB mode using the camera's setup menus."

or

"
Like a previous poster stated, the problem is having the camera set to Mass Storage USB mode instead of PTP mode.Just go to the Setup Menu, select USB, and chose PTP. No "USB" sub menu I can find.
As long as you're using the Nikon View software to offload your pictures, you can leave it in PTP mode. If you want to use Windows Explorer to browse the card in the camera, you'll need to change it back to Mass Storage mode when you're done.
-John"
I see nothing in the menu on my D7000 about mass storage or PTP mode.

Just to clarify, everything works just fine on my other Win 7 PC so I don't think the camera is the issues. Also I realize there are other options for downloading the images but that wasn't the point in the question, I'm looking for possible remedies to fix the problem with one of my PC's ...the one with Lightroom :grumpy: You know how it is, once you see something not working right you just have to fix it, at least I do.

Thanks for the advice
, but regrettably so far no help unless some one with a D7000 can tell me where the USB setting are talked about here, I can't find them in the menu.

I would use a card reader in any case for several reasons.

Hmmm guess you have to say something outside the quoted message.....

Could be a corrupt driver. And a system restore might to the trick. There seems to be nothing
wrong your cameras. Windows 7 automatically installs drivers and has its own window recognizing your camera even without ViewNX.

My PC running Win 7 will not reconize either of my cameras (Nikon D7000 & p7000).
As far as I am aware there are no seprate drivers to install and I have the newest
version of NX2 installed.

Any ideas what the issue might be?

Thanks,

P.S. other USB devices, external hard drive, card reader and so on seem to work just fine.

^^ There's your problem right there ^^ Mac... :)

Most reactions

Back