Conan the Grammarian

Rob said:
Well I have to be the first to comment!

Good job sir. You have supporters. We will get those loser's

Rob

I'm sorry to have to bring it back to the first post, but I'm just a little confused as to what you meant by this. Was this intentional? The loser's what???

:scratch:

Daniel said:
...People say

"I should of done X"
instead of
"I should have done X"..
soooo annoying.

Oh, my biggest pet peeve in wrong writing ever!
And Corry, I can't help thinking that many who TYPE out "of" only because the "`ve" would sound similar to them don't do so because of representing sound in writing. I fear many actually think that is what it is supposed to be like.
Severe grammatical error, that one!
And just think of all the "poor" foreigners who come here and read these forums and think it is all "English gospel" here... I mean, how are they to know some of what is typed out here is all wrong? Then they write into their English tests "I should of done my homework" and --- fail :shock: !!! Would YOU want to be responsible for that?

Definitely not, eh? (and not "definately" as I - *shuddering* - see so often, too)

LaFoto said:
Oh, my biggest pet peeve in wrong writing ever!
And Corry, I can't help thinking that many who TYPE out "of" only because the "`ve" would sound similar to them don't do so because of representing sound in writing. I fear many actually think that is what it is supposed to be like.
Severe grammatical error, that one!
And just think of all the "poor" foreigners who come here and read these forums and think it is all "English gospel" here... I mean, how are they to know some of what is typed out here is all wrong? Then they write into their English tests "I should of done my homework" and --- fail :shock: !!! Would YOU want to be responsible for that?

Definitely not, eh? (and not "definately" as I - *shuddering* - see so often, too)

Thanks LaFoto. that was what I was trying to say to Corry as well, but you did it much better than I.

I spell definitely wrong all the time (again, I say thank god for autocorrect in Word!!).

Hey Conan....you left off a ) there. ;) :lol:

Actually, that's one little trend I wouldn't want to start... I ain't the best grammer user out there and ya'll know that.

hobbes28 said:
Hey Conan....you left off a ) there. ;) :lol:

Actually, that's one little trend I wouldn't want to start... I ain't the best grammer user out there and ya'll know that.

Thanks, Hobbes, I fixed it.

Yea, I rember the posts we had goin a while back when you were talking about you're exsitement over the grammer blog ;)

hobbes28 said:
... I ain't the best grammer user out there and ya'll know that.

hidee cuzzin' hobbes! I figure you ain't the best grammer user cuz you got you some Arkansas roots, huh?

I cut up alot on this forum, but honestly, incorrect grammer (especially where my children are concerned) is a HUGE pet peeve. Top of the list:

I gots a lot ... (nails on a chalkboard ...)

I seen a deer ... (makes my spine hurt ...)

Do we got any ... (hell no, we don't don't got any ... )

Alls I want is ... (a new teacher in English, perhaps?!)

Pronounciation (sp?) is another ... the word 'especially' is pronounced with an 's', NOT an 'x' ... I expecially like ...

Nuclear is exactly that ... NOT nukuler ...

anicole said:
hidee cuzzin' hobbes! I figure you ain't the best grammer user cuz you got you some Arkansas roots, huh?

I cut up alot on this forum, but honestly, incorrect grammer (especially where my children are concerned) is a HUGE pet peeve. Top of the list:

I gots a lot ... (nails on a chalkboard ...)

I seen a deer ... (makes my spine hurt ...)

Do we got any ... (hell no, we don't don't got any ... )

Alls I want is ... (a new teacher in English, perhaps?!)

Pronounciation (sp?) is another ... the word 'especially' is pronounced with an 's', NOT an 'x' ... I expecially like ...

Nuclear is exactly that ... NOT nukuler ...

:lmao: you always were a smart 'un....

actually, i am so staying off this thread, but i gotta say, from the normal to abby normal folks like me.... this sh*t doesnt bother me... i couldn't care less.... i enjoy everyones different way of speaking, writing, etc...i think it adds flavor... if we all wrote the same, sounded the same, where is the spice? you couldnt find me or anyone else funny, if we all have the same humor....or if we all talked the exact same....

so i will hush on this for now...please continue.. its funny the things that set all ya'll off... silly little grammer spellings, and pronounciations.... bet cha juss luv the h*ll outta me....'eh? :hugs: ( please dont butcher me... i'm just pullin' ya'lls legs.....) kiss kiss! love ya'll... mean it! :D

aprilraven said:

actually, i am so staying off this thread, but i gotta say, from the normal to abby normal folks like me.... this sh*t doesnt bother me... i couldn't care less.... i enjoy everyones different way of speaking, writing, etc...i think it adds flavor... if we all wrote the same, sounded the same, where is the spice? you couldnt find me or anyone else funny, if we all have the same humor....or if we all talked the exact same....

WURD!!!:mrgreen:

aprilraven said:

so i will hush on this for now...please continue.. its funny the things that set all ya'll off... silly little grammer spellings, and pronounciations.... bet cha juss luv the h*ll outta me....'eh? :hugs: ( please dont butcher me... i'm just pullin' ya'lls legs.....) kiss kiss! love ya'll... mean it! :D

April, I would argue that that is where the beauty and robustness of English is grand. There are so many different ways you can express yourself and still be grammatically correct.

But, I guess now (for no particular reason) is a good time to share a very profound comment my English teacher in grad school made:

I was showing off one day in a particularily pedantic way, and I used the word "plethora." My teacher looked at and said, "Why use 'plethora' when 'sh*tload' will do?"

jocose said:
I was showing off one day in a particularily pedantic way, and I used the word "plethora." My teacher looked at and said, "Why use 'plethora' when 'sh*tload' will do?"
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
My teachers always said swearing was a sign that a person is too unintelligent to come up with a better word, like plethora!

clarinetJWD said:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
My teachers always said swearing was a sign that a person is too unintelligent to come up with a better word, like plethora!

Truthfully, the real story is that I wasn't really showing off. It was in his office, and I had made the comment that my dad always said that if you had to curse you didn't have a good command of the English language. Then we continued on to using a dollar word like "plethora" or a fifty cent word like "alot." That's when my teacher said the now infamous line.

Heehee, I like that teacher's reply! Heeheeheee!
"Plethora" is so wonderfully sophisticated, but which of the two is the more expressive, eh?

"Sh*tload" - "sh*tload" - "sh*tload"

:lol:
:biglaugh:

I think you're blog aint the bestest.

Honestly though, who in the hell says "axe" instead of "ask"?

Those people should be shot.

Seriously.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back