Concert Photography

Hi benny, i've shot alot of singers/bands/dj's including akon, beyonce, david guetta, tokio hotel, linkin park and a few of the MTV Events... In all of these flash was forbidden mainly due to TV cameras but also can be quite irritating for the artist to get 200 flashes per camera per 3 songs (which ur normally allowed) and theres normally about 5 photographers! With regards to the lens, it shouldn't be to much of an issue i mainly use my 18 -105mm but occasionally my 70-200mm for somethings.... also with flash it disturbs the unnatural lighting thats been put in which is really good to have in your photos and can create a shot in most cases. as such:

Yup, primes are a must. Sometimes, even f/2.8 isn't fast enough. Definitely pickup that 50/1.8.

Not necessarily true with newer cameras. I was shooting at f/4 and f/5.6 with a 17-40 f/4L and at ISO 6400 and ending up with usable photos.

Yup, primes are a must. Sometimes, even f/2.8 isn't fast enough. Definitely pickup that 50/1.8.

I've used my 50/1.8 on my 40D for concerts as well as rehearsals. I'm a professional musician who "dabbles" behind the camera, and honestly, that lens has worked wonders on and in front of the stage.

Concerning flash work in the venue, it's a finicky issue. There's always the possibility of discussing it with the band first. Secondly, depending on the venue, the stage lighting often gives enough light to get what you want...that or provides an interesting challenge that results in shots you never thought about taking and are pleasantly surprised with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back