Confessions of a Noob

amandalee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I was asked to do some pictures of a friend and she wanted to do pin up style pictures... The pictures will be taken around 7pm with the sun behind her and the cars... do you guys have any suggestions for getting good lighting, sharp pictures, great colors, just overall great pictures?

I really don't know much about it... I will be using a Rebel T1i all I have at the moment is the kit lens...I heard there was a place in town that would rent lenses so if that goes through what kind would you suggest?

Thanks so much!

Well... you've certainly set a challenge for yourself. A backlit pin-up picture at sunset. I wouldn't worry about your lens or body, the key here is going to be lighting. I assume from your description that you're talking out of doors; to make great pictures, you're going to need at least two monolights, modifiers, reflectors, diffusers, and the ability to use them effectively. If you're willing to settle for good rather than great, than I would suggest doing some reading at the Strobist for lighting tips.

For inspiration, review images by the godfather of pinups....... Alberto Vargas.

If you do rent a lens I would suggest the 50mm 1.4 or 1.8. Can't ever go wrong with a nifty fifty.

Well... you've certainly set a challenge for yourself. A backlit pin-up picture at sunset. I wouldn't worry about your lens or body, the key here is going to be lighting. I assume from your description that you're talking out of doors; to make great pictures, you're going to need at least two monolights, modifiers, reflectors, diffusers, and the ability to use them effectively. If you're willing to settle for good rather than great, than I would suggest doing some reading at the Strobist for lighting tips.

Pretty much this ^^^. Without lighting gear and at least some knowledge of how to use it, even "good" pictures won't be possible in a back lit situation.

It usually takes a bit of time to get used to an unfamiliar lens, particularly if you don't yet have a basic technical understanding of how a camera and lens work.

So be sure and get the lens early enough to use it a bit so you can become familiar with how it performs.

Tirediron and subscuck allude to the knowledge needed to use lighting gear. Because of the short duration of the flash of light from strobed lighting (monolights, speedlights, built-in flash) shutter speed is used to control the ambient light exposure and not used to stop motion. The short flash of light stops motion instead. Lens aperture is used to control the strobed light exposure and the depth-of-field in the image.

I disagree that a 50 mm would be the lens to rent. The nifty-fifty lenses are mainly popular because they are inexpensive compared to most other fast (wide-aperture) prime lenses.

I would look more to an 85 mm or even longer focal length. I shoot most of my outdoor portraits using a 200 mm prime lens.

Many use a high quality f/2.8 70-200 mm zoom for outdoor portraiture.

Last edited:
Thanks KmH I will go look today then to see what they have and start practicing... if anything this will be a good learning experience ;)

At the very least I would bring a flash for off camera, and a reflector. Can you go practice at the location? And do you really have to have her backlit?

YEAH, backlit can be hard with no lights. i would play around with different angles. Also you might consider a wide angle like a 11-16 f2.8 by tokina if you want to get the car in the picture too. That way you could get up closer. You can also get cool lens distortion from something really wide like that.

as for the 50mm. I use my pretty much just for close up portraits.

Many subjects get uncomfortable having the photographer close and right up in their space, another disadvantage of using a 50 mm prime lens.

Many subjects get uncomfortable having the photographer close and right up in their space, another disadvantage of using a 50 mm prime lens.

True, but i do not think a girl willing to pose pinup style is going to have those types of hang ups.

Cool thanks! If I'm able to I will try and rent a couple different ones just to be safe :thumbup: And as for the backlit situation no she's doesn't have to be backlit... are there suggestions on where I should "place" the sun instead of behind her?

Most reactions

Back