Confined (pic heavy)

weags77

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We went on a family trip to Lupa Zoo in Ludlow, MA on a beautiful 65 degree NOVEMBER day. I remember thinking to myself as I walked around how thankful I was to these animals. They are treated very good but I cannot help feeling bad that they are confined for my entertainment and education purposes. With that said I went through my photos from the day and edited quite a few, but as I sat here today looking at them I noticed a common theme I incorporated into my favorite ones, and that was the cages or some form of confinement. But I also didn't want it to be just a bunch of sad pictures of animals in cages, so I tried to be subtle with the reminders of confinement. And I ended up with my first actual themed set.

Any thoughts are appreciated good or bad just as long as they're honest. Thanks

$10952152524_835d4abade_h.jpg

$10951990345_025134724e_h.jpg

$10952235583_cf83a2e6ad_h.jpg

$10952238253_47353bfafd_h.jpg

$10952071886_90b8ce7571_h.jpg

$10952073356_10e90f6210_h.jpg

$10952245323_01823092b4_h.jpg

Man, tough crowd. Nothing at all ? Thinking i should reprocess these as HDR so at least I could get some hate ? Or are zoo pics generally frowned upon ?

interesting set. love #1, 4, & 5.

no sad panda?

I think this is a rather well-done set; you've dealt with the usual bars/wire/cage issues encountered in zoo photography by accentuating them and making them part of the image rather than trying to hide them. Good job.

I love the 4, 5 & 6 as those really show the "confined" aspect from the title.

# 7 shows the ... gee I'm so bored from being confined.

# 1 has me confused with all the lines but that is part of a zoo cage.

They're all great based on your title. :thumbup:

I think this is a rather well-done set; you've dealt with the usual bars/wire/cage issues encountered in zoo photography by accentuating them and making them part of the image rather than trying to hide them. Good job.

I'll echo this sentiment. Well done.

Jake

Thanks for the comments guys. I must admit that i didn't set out to create this set or theme. I shot with the cage in mind but mostly just to get as much of an unobstructed view as possible. I didn't necessarily put it all together until I was looking at them all during and after edit and noticed a theme that reflected my feelings at the time.

It was kind of an eye opener for me in this element of photography, as i never actually made a set like this. Usually just group "waterfalls" or "barns" and call it a set. And while I usually like to be negatively critiqued, I'm very pleased that this was well received.

As for the Panda, sadly there isn't one at this zoo. It's a family owned zoo, fairly small all things considered. That and it's November here so a lot of the animals are away for the winter. I do love a sad panda shot though.

Appreciate you all taking the time to comment.

Nice light you found. Good series. I enjoyed them. And yes that 65 degree day was awesome. Made it up here to maine as well.

Nice light you found. Good series. I enjoyed them. And yes that 65 degree day was awesome. Made it up here to maine as well.

Thanks Tyler, was surprised at my luck with light considering these were mostly taken between 12-2 or a clear day. Glad to hear you got some of that good weather too.

Most reactions

Back