Confusion in NEF and JPG formats taken as same time

ksasidhar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I captured this pic at same instant on different SD cards on my Nikon D7000 camera. One was taken in NEF format and other was taken in JPG format. I ad set my camera white balance as 4400K. Wen I downloaded the picture on my computer and tried to convert NEF to JPG using Photo darkroom software, I observed the following,

The software showed image temperature as 9050 K. I tried to brin it down to 4300 K but the image is not close to what I get in JP format. Ten I loaded te JP file into darkroom software and found tat the temperature of the image is 5000 K. More interesting to me was that the exposure patterns of the of NEF and JP images are completely different.

Can you please explain what is happening here. I am attaching the JP converted NEF image, the original JP image, and the print screen of software exposure patterns ere.

Thanks for all the help you people provide.

Sasidhar
NEFtoJPG.JPG
Original_JPG.JPG
NEF.jpg
JPG.jpg

That's odd, surely an issue with raw converter in your software

The top image has a distinct colour cast from fluorescent lighting, while this has been corrected in the lower one. The differences in exposure ear purely down to how the JPG has been processed, playing with the sliders - contrast gamma shadows etc - will allow this to be matched if desired.
Personally I find my cameras do a much better job of processing RAW files than I can so I usually just shoot JPG.

I'm a bit confused: (1) Were you shooting in RAW+JPG or were these shot separately, or? (2) Your camera was set to a Custom WB of 4400K? (Why?) and (3) By "exposure patterns" do you mean the histogram?

I'm a bit confused: (1) Were you shooting in RAW+JPG or were these shot separately, or? (2) Your camera was set to a Custom WB of 4400K? (Why?) and (3) By "exposure patterns" do you mean the histogram?
Hi Tiredeion, yes the shooting was in RAW + JPG. I had set WB at 4400K because I always had greenish tinge in my RAW images when I use auto WB. Yes from exposure patterns, I mean the histogram. Thank you

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Technically, raw files do not have any white balance applied to them. What you're seeing is a JPEG rendered from the raw file that does have a WB setting applied.

But you can change the WB setting to anything you want in post when you're edit the raw file.

The jpg has been processed by the cameras built-in processor. It has made white Ballance, lens correction and noise reduction adjustments as well as compression. The raw file has none of this processing so if you shoot in florescent light the raw file will have a green cast which you have to correct in post processing.

The jpg has been processed by the cameras built-in processor. It has made white Ballance, lens correction and noise reduction adjustments as well as compression. The raw file has none of this processing so if you shoot in florescent light the raw file will have a green cast which you have to correct in post processing.
Thanks for your replies Sparky and Greybeard. Whatever settings I try for my RAW file, I am unable to reproduce the camera processed JPG image. I tried setting WB same as in JPG image and adjusted the red, green , and blue histograms seperately. Still the image seems to have different colour background. And can you please explain why the exposure histogram is different in RAW and JPG files. Does it not have any significance? Thanks.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Your JPEG was process by the camera. Your raw file was processed by your computer. Two different algorithms.

Nikon has free software ViewNX-i and Capture NX-D. They are slow and take some learning but they will give you what you want. It is what I use when I only have a few shots to processes.

Nikon | Download center | ViewNX‑i

Most reactions

New Topics

Back