Connecting the camera to the computer?

Simons

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey

For a couple of months ive had problems with my Canon EOS 1000d connecting it to the computer (mac). Instead i have been using a card reader.

I am now looking at selling it, as i have bought a new camera so it would be good if i could fix this issue before i sell it.

Basically when i plug the cable from the camera to the computer, nothing happens. I've tried it on a few different computers and it doesn't work on any of them.

Does anybody know why this might be happening?

All help much appreciated!

Thanks
Nic

None of my cameras have had the USB cable unfurled. I only use a card reader.

Perhaps to the Canon website to see if there's a firmware update.

You may have to change the communication setting. Your manual will tell you how to do this.

Not sure about your camera, but on mine, the default setting would not allow communication between the camera & computer. Changed it and now everything works fine.

Even if you use a card reader, if you ever want to shoot tethered - you will have to have the communication on the right setting.

None of my cameras have had the USB cable unfurled. I only use a card reader.

Perhaps to the Canon website to see if there's a firmware update.

You may have to change the communication setting. Your manual will tell you how to do this.

Not sure about your camera, but on mine, the default setting would not allow communication between the camera & computer. Changed it and now everything works fine.

Even if you use a card reader, if you ever want to shoot tethered - you will have to have the communication on the right setting.
Thanks for the responses, unfortunately neither of them worked :(

I updated the firmware to the very latest, no change (at least its up to date now!)

Also checked the manual and there is no way to change the communication settings on a 1000d

Any other ideas? Or could it posibly just be a technical fault which i need to send it off to be repaired?

Cheers!
Nic

Have you tried multiple USB ports? Seems unlikely, but maybe the one you're using is bad. Or maybe the cord...?

You are turning the camera on, right? :lol:

...I'm out of ideas.

I had a camera (Fuji) that acted like that if the driver for that camera had not been installed on the computer. Not sure if that can happen with Canon or not.

Have you tried multiple USB ports? Seems unlikely, but maybe the one you're using is bad. Or maybe the cord...?

You are turning the camera on, right? :lol:

...I'm out of ideas.
Nah it cant be that because it doesnt work on any of the computers ive tried.

And yes the camera is turned on :), thanks for the help anyway!

I had a camera (Fuji) that acted like that if the driver for that camera had not been installed on the computer. Not sure if that can happen with Canon or not.
Hmm.. well it was working b4, and nothing changed so i dont see why it would stop working. Also other cameras work fine on the same computer.

Oh well.. maybe i should just try selling it with this fault, and tell them that it works fine with a card reader. Which i find much easier to use anyway!

Thanks
Nic

Most reactions

Back