Considering a Canon Upgrade

SEPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My camera is in for repair and while it breaks my heart to think this after only 6 months of our relationship, I'm considering an upgrade... that way this doesn't happen again (being without a camera and missing out on 2 paying shoots :( )

I'm looking to upgrade. I've heard good things about the 40D, but on a side by side comparison at dpreview.com it seems to have VERY similar specs to the 400D (I have the 350D). I don't really have the money at this point in time to upgrade by a lot. I look at the specs for each camera and I'm more inclined to go with the 400D as opposed to the 40D. I know the 40D has live view, but I'm really not counting that as something THAT important....

Do any of you have any advice on what would be the better option?

Hmm, why not consider a proper lens instead. The 50mm is certainly OK, but I never heard really good things about the 18-55mm kit lens.

the 40D is a much different camera than the 400D...it's got a completely different sensor. Faster rapid fire...
But it's not like it's going to change your photography (most likely)
However, a 40D is much more high end and reliable than a 350D or 400D.
I would highly doubt you'd be happy with a 400D over the 350D...lots of extra money...not many extra features...

Hmm, why not consider a proper lens instead. The 50mm is certainly OK, but I never heard really good things about the 18-55mm kit lens.

I agree. Going from the kit lens to the 50 was night and day...and then the L was another week completely...lol.
The colour, sharpness, and everything...perfect.

actually the whole point of my question is to find out which camera i should upgrade to so I'm not in the position where I have no back up again...

I am already looking at other lenses but i think the most important thing right now would be a back up camera.

I just upgraded to the 40D and absolutely love it. I think it's maybe not as advanced as some cameras, but considering I went from the Rebel XT to a 40D, I'm pretty happy.

Good luck in your search. I also agree that a lens might have a greater impact.

The 40D would make a good back up camera. It's versatile and a great camera for it's price range. I've had mine for 2 months and continue to be amazed by it.

However, a 40D is much more high end and reliable than a 350D or 400D.

Going from the kit lens to the 50 was night and day...and then the L was another week completely...lol.
The colour, sharpness, and everything...perfect.

You know I see where you're coming from. I think that's what I need... I had my xt for 6 months and it started malfunctioning... it was a rather traumatic experience, lol...

and, yes like I said I'll be getting more lenses. I don't think I got the chance before my camera started acting up...

I am already looking at other lenses but i think the most important thing right now would be a back up camera.

oh, ok, if having a backup camera is the main issue, then you should get a second camera of course.

you could consider a second hand 350 D which should be rather cheap by now.

the 40 D will certainly be a much more noticeable upgrade than the 400 D. So I'd go either for a 40 D or a second hand 350 D .. but that is just me.

I'd say that the 40D is one of Canon's most advanced cameras...seeing as it's one of the their newest.

The 20D, 30D & 40D models are bigger and more robust than the Rebel series...so if that is important to you, consider that. However, the Rebel cameras are not mere toys.

There is a fairly significant difference in the size, weight and layout of the different models. This may be important if you are switching cameras while on the job. The Rebels are smaller and the control is more menu based...the (X)0D models, on the other hand, allow for quicker control with more buttons and the fantastic thumb wheel.

That being said, personal preference goes a long way. Try out the different models and see how they feel in your hands.

You can also upgrade to say a 20D or 30D for much cheaper if price is an issue. The 40D is at a premium with it's recent release. If yo do not need Live-view or 6.5fps than that may be another way to go. Same build and all, just 2 less megapixels and a few gimmicks.

You did your work, and compared them on DP Review. You saw that they're effectively the same - and you're right. All the features that we point out as being different only make up 3% of the camera, everything else is close to being the same. Get the 400, and have some money left over for a 50mm lens or something else that you know fits your style.

in any case, let us know how you finally decided and later ... if you were happy with that decision :)

Most reactions

Back