Constant LED light sources - anyone used them?

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm primarily looking at these to provide lighting for macro based video work (from 1:1 through to greater magnifications if I can get away with it ;)). As such I'd prefer to be able to add light rather than have to boost the ISO where possible, though ISO is always an option, the more light I can put down and have control over the better the resulting end quality of the finished video.

At present I'm envisioning that handheld will be dominant over tripod based and that practical working in the field might also mean that I can't always use a tripod to be a lighting stand - and since I can't afford and assistant I've got to keep the lighting unit weight down so that I can easily camera mount it (akin to a flash).

So I'm wondering if anyone has tried this or at least has experience of using LED based lighting options such as:
DV-35 LED LIGHT - Detailed info for DV-35 LED LIGHT,LED LIGHT,DV-35 LED LIGHT,DV-35 on Alibaba.com

7dayshop 64x LED Stackable Video: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

just a few examples there are many similar units and I'd be interested to hear of good examples of them if anyone has experience

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would also like to know! Bump!

My son uses one as a nightlight. It has nine, individual 1.5 volt LEDs. Press one activates four of the LED's; a second press activates another four LED's for a total of eight, white LED's; a third press turns off all the white LED's, and activates the centrally-located ninth LED, which is red, and it functions as a waning/distress beacon, flashing at 1.5 second intervals. Battery life is simple INCREDIBLE compared with other types of battery lights!!!! In terms of output per unit of battery stored energy, LED's rock!

Well I just recently (today) took delivery of a 64LED light block. The design is generic and there are a fair few of these type lights kicking around ebay - from 32LED up to 120 (and more) versions.

Initial view is that you won't take some ones portrait with 64 superbright LED's shinging in their face (its bright!). It has an on/off as well as two modes, low and high (low reduces the number of LEDs which are on). Power comes from 4AA batteries and they make up the bulk of the units weight as well, though its not that heavy overall and the flexi arm setup I show above can support it with ease.

However bringing things down to the macro level its more of a challenge, at 1:1 in video mode one can get around f8, 1/100sec and ISO 800 provided that the light is well positioned over the subject. You can just about keep those settings static all the way down to 3/4:1 and there after ISO 1600 is needed.

However whilst its more challenged at the higher magnifications once you get to around 3:1 and beyond the weakness of the DSLR sensor for image capture starts to show and the image starts to get a watery appearance to it because of the way the sensor exposes. The result is that handholding becomes increasingly more difficult (more so than normal) and also more damaging to the final video. By 5:1 handholding is all but impossible as even when seated and with steady hands the tiny motions show up as fluid wobbles.

Tripod mounting on a very stable setup is I think going to be the order of the day for highmagnification video if you want a good video beyond simple recording of events (even then the watery appearance might well cause problems with a clear view of details and actions).

Overall the unit works well and does what it says on the tin. I think that anyone serious about video with macro would benefit from using two of these units in tandem (like the twinflash) simply to increase the light output. I'll note that I tested this indoors in a not so brilliantly lit room - so actual field shooting will give a bit more light to work with. Still two units would be my recommendation (more light means a chance to at least have them a little further from the insect).

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back