Constructive Criticsm on TPF

What I think we really need is a ticket system -- limiting how many C&C debate threads members are allowed to take part in per year. That way we can get a bit of fresh air in these debate threads ;)

Though I'm willing to waver the tickets for more backlitshots

After reading every post on the thread (word for word, Green and Red LOL) I want to thank everyone who have given me HONEST C&C. I have been shooting for 14 months. Fourteen months from now I hope to be better in part to HONEST C&C, hopefully on TPF.:thumbup:
jorge

After reading every post on the thread (word for word, Green and Red LOL) I want to thank everyone who have given me HONEST C&C. I have been shooting for 14 months. Fourteen months from now I hope to be better in part to HONEST C&C, hopefully on TPF.:thumbup:
jorge

I generally like to give and receive more constructive criticism.

This has been said before in more detail by much more trustworthy and respected members than myself but let me repeat my own version here.

The best ways to get better and more honest C/C
:

1) Don't identify with the picture. Don't say 'This is the best picture I have ever taken of my only child. My mother held onto life with a terrible wasting disease until she could die holding this picture. What do you think of it?' or something close. Just post the damn thing. Say what you wanted to get across and maybe say something about the conditions.

2) Post one or two at a time - preferably one rather than posting 4, 5, 6, 7 or even 8 greatly different pictures and asking for C/C.

3) Signal your willingness to take comments by picking out a questionable point in the image and asking about it. That gives viewers a place to start and a hint that you won't start crying about any negative comments.

4) Post your best stuff.
  • Don't post 10 variations of the same picture; no one, and I mean no photographer, really gives a crap about 10 variations on your baby's smile.
    (I am reminded of a photographer on another site who routinely posts technically competent pictures of her children - every single one in the same pose and from the same pov. There's no need to look at her post; it's always little Ferdinand and Isabella smiling up at the camera at the same angle. One would think they were stuffed except that they're growing. It's good they're growing because she, as a photographer, is not.)​
  • Don't say this is SOOC - unless you really think it doesn't need any PPing or you think that something truly magical and mysterious happened inside there.
  • Don't say, "I was just messing with these'- why would anyone spend their time to look, think and respond if you are 'just messing'?

my own small personal annoyances

If someone makes an effort to give you C/C - even if you don't agree, even if that person is a total ravening twit - thank them for their response. You asked for comments, be polite.

If you give c/c, be honest but respect the OP, their work and their subject.

If you give c/c, don't say 'well, I'm new at this' or 'well, that's just me.' Your responses, opinions, likes and dislikes are valuable and your input should be judged on its own merits.

If you PM someone to look at a picture, send the person the link. Please don't assume your contact actually keeps a list of your submissions, sorted by original posting date.

Well, I hope your links help drive traffick there!

I mostly just lurk in the photography section there - but the other sections can be a great help for tapping into info fast and without having to register on "another" forum for the info. But yeah it is crazy big!

Most reactions

Back