contest help!

Haya.H

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay so i really want to enter this contest. this is the theme:

Let’s get moving! We all live in an exciting ever changing world, and now we want YOU to move us. Capture a story from your dynamic life, in photos or video, and you can win big prizes with Canon.
We’re looking for still and moving images that express the exciting changes taking place around you that depict the dynamism and vibrance of your surroundings.

Story: I moved to Jordan about 6 months ago, i know no one here. and im also VERY locationally challenged.

also i cant put my hands on what exaclty the theme is... its very broad. What do ya'll think they mean?

I think the main point is change. The difficulty is that they wasn't the change to be directly related to your life and expressing that in a photo is very difficult. Maybe a photo of you with luggage and a map, but making that interesting and contest worthy is difficult.

On a side note, congrats on your move. My brother was born in Jordan and I have a friend from there. I've been there, but only when I was very little, so I remember nothing, unfortunately.

Look at the contest rules closely.

Many photo contests are just photo rights grabs. Be sure you aren't giving away the rights to your photographs by entering the contest.

Hm...reading over it again, I'm not sure I was right. They seem to want it more about your surroundings than change in your own life. Not sure. I'd be nervous about the inclusion of video in the contest, though...

See, thats what im confused about i cant seem to get a straight answer. hmm and i did! everything seems pretty good regarding the rules and photo rights.

Okay opinions:
1.) a girl, half her face with the massive amount of make up that girls wear nowadays. and the other half with nothing on, to represent the change in how girls feel they NEED to look.
2.) A few people holding sign up (face level) saying "i am ______" insert few diff religions and then underneth the group right "we are one" I kinda prefer this one but its also really touchy... but i feel like the overall picture would turn out pretty nice.

What do y'all think?

I think sometimes these kinds of contests are very purposefully vague on the "theme" so they can pretty much pick any photo they like and figure out a way to make it "fit" the theme.

I kinda like your second idea, but here's a more subtle suggestion for it:
Each person dressed in a manner that would "suggest" their religion: the hijab/head covering on a Muslim woman, a Jewish man wearing a Star of David and a yarmulka, a Christian wearing a prominent Cross necklace, etc; all holding hands or doing something that speaks of unity.

Not actually sure how that fits the theme, either, but like I said, I think a theme like this is just another way of saying, "take a picture we love and we'll make it fit our theme!"

I think sometimes these kinds of contests are very purposefully vague on the "theme" so they can pretty much pick any photo they like and figure out a way to make it "fit" the theme.

I kinda like your second idea, but here's a more subtle suggestion for it:
Each person dressed in a manner that would "suggest" their religion: the hijab/head covering on a Muslim woman, a Jewish man wearing a Star of David and a yarmulka, a Christian wearing a prominent Cross necklace, etc; all holding hands or doing something that speaks of unity.

Not actually sure how that fits the theme, either, but like I said, I think a theme like this is just another way of saying, "take a picture we love and we'll make it fit our theme!"

I forgot to say that i actually thought about the holding hands part! and i like the idea of the clothes representing their religion. I was gonna have them dressed all semi a like (jeans,white t) so that can represent equality. & your right about the theme! thats aggrivating though. Makes me think a million times about an idea before going through with it.

Well, after looking at the particular contest you are referring to, I think the depiction of a dynamic world--HOWEVER you interpret that--is kind of what they are after.

The deadline is May 31, so you don't have much time, but here's something else I'd do:
The website lists the judges for the contest. Read each one's bio and visit their website; look at their style, what they seem to like. MOST of the time, I say shoot what you like--but if you're trying to win a contest, it's not a bad idea to shoot with an idea of what the judges like!

Well, after looking at the particular contest you are referring to, I think the depiction of a dynamic world--HOWEVER you interpret that--is kind of what they are after.

The deadline is May 31, so you don't have much time, but here's something else I'd do:
The website lists the judges for the contest. Read each one's bio and visit their website; look at their style, what they seem to like. MOST of the time, I say shoot what you like--but if you're trying to win a contest, it's not a bad idea to shoot with an idea of what the judges like!

Yes i've done that! If you were judging do you think it would be considered in the theme?

Story: I moved to Jordan about 6 months ago, i know no one here. and im also VERY locationally challenged.

also i cant put my hands on what exaclty the theme is... its very broad. What do ya'll think they mean?
Horse feathers! Assuming you mean the Kingdom of Jordan and nor Jordan, OK or something, you are in one of the areas of the world that has changed the MOST over the centuries. Find a view where there is something old contrasted with something new. An old church and modern hospital. You have MORE opportunities than most people are going to have, so get out there and find them!

Horse feathers! Assuming you mean the Kingdom of Jordan and nor Jordan, OK or something, you are in one of the areas of the world that has changed the MOST over the centuries. Find a view where there is something old contrasted with something new. An old church and modern hospital. You have MORE opportunities than most people are going to have, so get out there and find them!
I could not have said this better. When I saw Jordan up there, then read "locationally challenged" I was confused...more like "location advantage"

I could not have said this better. When I saw Jordan up there, then read "locationally challenged" I was confused...more like "location advantage"

Well its kinda hard since i dont have a car, nor do i know the area. im not trying to take a taxi and not know the way back! lol

Well its kinda hard since i dont have a car, nor do i know the area. im not trying to take a taxi and not know the way back! lol
Admittedly I don't know much about that part of the world so it might not be safe, but if it is I'd be willing to bet that you could walk around the block in your neighborhood and take a hundred shots. It isn't that the photographs and subjects aren't there, you just aren't seeing them. You're probably looking for the shot that jumps out and grabs you by the throat but you're missing dozens that are just as amazing by looking too hard. Let your imagination roam free. Look around and see the light. The shots truly are there because they are EVERYWHERE.

Admittedly I don't know much about that part of the world so it might not be safe, but if it is I'd be willing to bet that you could walk around the block in your neighborhood and take a hundred shots. It isn't that the photographs and subjects aren't there, you just aren't seeing them. You're probably looking for the shot that jumps out and grabs you by the throat but you're missing dozens that are just as amazing by looking too hard. Let your imagination roam free. Look around and see the light. The shots truly are there because they are EVERYWHERE.

You have inspired me to do just that. Tomorrow im going on a walk if i get kidnapped... its your fault. No im just kidding. its very safe and very free here actually. Its nothing like the media portrays or how people imagine it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back