Contrasting plants

Pinus strobus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I visited the botanical gardens last week and found a few plants that sparked some interest to me.

2605924557_6949cf0a2e_o.jpg

2605927775_bc47e8e205_o.jpg

http://www.flickr.com

Hi Pinus stobus, thanks for posting. I think both of your subjects and compositions have merit. I also think these images make good candidates for B&W's.

Personally I would give both of these images a good kick of contrast as well as a decent dose of sharpening. I would have no fear in clipping blacks or for that matter whites.

The first image has strong vertical lines (which would be stronger still from more contrast) and the spines of the cactus make for a great pattern. I would also rotate the image a little to get those lines 'vertical'.

I like how in the second image the sword grass loops back in on itself. The way the top of the plant splays out to the right and then how the loop comes back into picture allows the eye to flow right around the photo nicely. However for this to have maximum affect I think the picture needs to have the right hand side cropped.

I have made some edits to show the direction I would be going with these images. Of course your direction might be completely different.

Edit 1
Edit 2

Love that second shot!- Looks great.

Most reactions

Back