Contrasty Trees in the Sunset C&C

BadPictures said:
The colors are nice and warm. But it doesn't really say anything to me. It's tough to take a photo like that with the sun coming through things and have it look like anything but blown out light behind whatever it is you're shooting through. What might have worked nicely is if you'd gone to something like 100 ISO, stopped all the way down to f/22 or even 32 and if you could have caught the sun right you would have ended up with a nice sun star, which may have worked as a subject/focal point and you probably wouldn't have lost so much detail in the trees to the blown out sunlight. But I'm only theorizing on how that might have looked.

With what you said below this, I was trying something new. I did crank up the heat decently high when I took this, and the washed out sun added to the warmness, because I was originally going for a nice and soothing warm image.

Also, I do have a tripod but I didn't feel the need :)

Last edited:
Yea.. if the OP had a TRIPOD.. because that would have kicked the shutter speed WAY into non-handheld range... and most likely would have made the shot even contrastier.. and lost ALL detail in the trees. Sun Star?.. whatever.......

So you are unfamiliar with the concept of experimentation then, eh?

No... I am very familiar with experimentation... it is just that when I know from experience something wont work.. I know it is a waste of time to do it! Sun Stars (or more correctly, Aperture Stars).. have their place.. typically when shooting something with a lot of highlights.. choppy water for instance, or automotive photography..... but on a shot like this, it would be a waste of time to even try!

You obviously need to learn the basics, yourself.. before you start offering useless advice to people!

O, sorry.... it looks a messy lot ...there are many elements which are lovely...but together they form a busy busy confused state :grumpy:

Regards :D

Frequency said:
O, sorry.... it looks a messy lot ...there are many elements which are lovely...but together they form a busy busy confused state :grumpy:

Thanks for the comment! What do you think is lovely/caught your eye & what could I do to improve the messy-ness? Thanks! :)

Not seriously....

I like that white tree very much... i like the golden hue.... If that white tree could stand out in the golden hue, pushing everything else into a diffused background that would have been a beauty....these are all personal feelings...every body has his/her own concepts, aesthetics etc... so nobody's word is final....after all art is how we express ourselves.... manifest ourselves....

I personally like shots that are subtly different, and I've never seen this kind of shot before

Really? So you don't hang out on Facebook? :)

Hey guys, I added 2 more photos to my first post that I took that night, I dont know what you think but I like them... they all have a different feel

Last edited:
...they all have a different feel

The don't, really.

Every person with a new camera takes images just like yours.

Thank you for the comment, i just havent been able to get out to anywhere besides my backyard in a LONG time, so this is the best i can do. Nothing too special around but i'm still tryin

Learn to see what's around you, and apply the things in the links I gave you.

Practicing taking pictures also includes practicing using composition.

Learn to see what's around you, and apply the things in the links I gave you.

Practicing taking pictures also includes practicing using composition.

Okay, thanks man. I really do appreciate the comments!
I am not really new to photography though, just digital. I have been into film photography & darkroom developing for a couple of years. A couple months ago I finally got myself a digital camera, but it wasn't too different. However, I'm still adjusting to the whole digital aspect because I have never taken digital pictures except with my P&S... Also, when I did film photography & darkroom development, I just did black and white. So the colors are a pretty new aspect to me as well. Which is why i found the pictures that I took so fascinating; full of color. Most of you are probably used to the colors because, well, you weren't strictly black and white for almost your entire photography career. You know what I mean?

You'll get use to color very quickly. I shot B&W for years back in the 60's before moving to color full time.

As Bitter Jeweler said, practice composition, it's the essence of of photography. Most digital processes are cause and effect, and can be learned through experience, but composition is the art of photography. It's what makes a snap shot a photograph.

Joel_W said:
You'll get use to color very quickly. I shot B&W for years back in the 60's before moving to color full time.

As Bitter Jeweler said, practice composition, it's the essence of of photography. Most digital processes are cause and effect, and can be learned through experience, but composition is the art of photography. It's what makes a snap shot a photograph.

I've never really taken formal classes except for a high school photo class 2 years ago, which didn't teach me anything anyways haha. All it did was give me access to a really nice darkroom, which was still nice :)
But yeah, ill read those links Bitter Jeweler gave me, and see what I can get out of reading em!

Thanks for the comment!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back